Clutch Life Question

• 3006 posts
    June 24, 2014 4:40 AM PDT

I ride a 03 Honda VTX1300 and lately I am thinking its time for a clutch change as shifting & finding nuetral is becoming more difficult compared to when it was newer.I have about 69000 on the original clutch.

Is that a large amount? Is it necessary to replace all the plates? And/or the springs also?

Thanks in Advance !

• 5417 posts
    June 24, 2014 4:49 AM PDT
    70k doesn't sound unreasonable for a clutch.  I normally get over 100k on mine, but I ride like an old man when it comes to starting and stopping (I only go fast once in 6th gear :-).

My personal opinion is if I was going to remove the clutch I would go ahead and replace the whole damn thing... all plates and springs. Then you have a brand new clutch ready to go another 70k miles.
    • 84 posts
    June 24, 2014 6:26 AM PDT
    I agree with Lucky. I got over 80K on my original Lowrider clutch and it isn't telling me there is a problem coming soon. I also don't run hard and only get speed up after changing into 6th. I could easily see getting over 100K before needing a change.
    • 3006 posts
    June 27, 2014 4:28 PM PDT
    Thank you again,I realize some of my driving habits are not the easiest on my ride.And also I have pushed the envelope at times making some hard shifts on her.
  • June 30, 2014 4:42 AM PDT
    Be sure to buy a new cable when you put your new clutch in, that way you will start out fresh and have all the adjustment you need.