Brake light issues..

• June 3, 2014 4:24 AM PDT
    I did a search and have been searching before I posted but I'm stumped.. I've got a 99 Softail and the other night my front brake lever fell off (while I was riding), made for an interesting stop when I went to go reach for it and it wasn't there.. I ended up finding it on the road, road the bike home and now my brake lights won't work. The switch in the grip behind the lever, the plunger moves in and out fine but the brake light won't engage. The rear pedal won't engage it either. I replaced the bulb, tested the wires under the seat and my test light lit up, tested the rear area where the bulb goes, it's ok.. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the switch where the wires run into near the exhaust or the frt. switch, I have no clue what to test next.. I know some people have had bad bulbs but I know mine are ok, the lights worked the night I took it out as well, I don't know if the lever falling off has anything to do with this issue..
  • June 3, 2014 5:14 AM PDT
    I just went and unplugged what I think is the plug for the rear switch but I couldn't test it because it's an odd looking plug. Triangle shape and the holes are to small for a test light prong.. Another stupid question, the fuses have a metal cover on them, how do you remove it to check them? I can feel gasoline and a match coming soon..lol.
  • June 3, 2014 5:06 PM PDT
    I went through this not long ago I had 2 seperate problems first the front wouldn't disengage then I had a short in the bulb socket. it kicked my ass cause i was looking for 1 problem. take your time work from the light back and don't think rational;y
  • June 4, 2014 1:10 AM PDT
    Well I got to the rear light switch. It's got power to it but I'm thinking it's bad. I'm going to jump both sometime today when I get home so that will hopefully tell me what exactly is wrong.. I'm pulling the tank if I need to replace the front switch so I don't have to splice anything.. I ordered both front and back switches last night just to be safe.. That rear one looks like it's going to be a freaking blast.. I'll have to find out if I need to bleed the system after replacing that one..
    • 834 posts
    June 4, 2014 4:15 AM PDT
    Sounds like a good way to go.

On those connectors to small for test probe, just get a straight pin and stick it in there and touch the probe to the pin. I have also stuck the pin barely through the wire insulation to check wires
  • June 4, 2014 6:16 AM PDT
    check the buld socket or the connector to the tail light
  • June 5, 2014 12:27 AM PDT
    I did a paper clip in the rear switch and the brake light lit up so the back is bad, the new one supposed to be here today. The only thing I'm worried about is the front brake wont light it up either. I ordered the front switch as well so if the back doesn't work after the new one is in then I'll do the front too.. Anyone want to buy a bike..lol..j/k.
    • 1161 posts
    June 7, 2014 12:25 PM PDT
    I had a similar problem with my 1980 Honda CM400T mine ended up being a switch in my hand grip was old and corroded from old brake fluid dripping on it. Because it had other issues with the brake bowl leaking because it was cracked. I was riding down the road and had a bunch of smoke from the old switch and I pulled off the wires off it so I could pull over. I have re-wired a lot of the bike but kept most of the original plugs. But take your time there may be more then one faulty line or part like mine. Good Luck, I hope you get it all figured out!
  • June 12, 2014 12:34 PM PDT
    Well it ended up being both switches went out at the same time. I replaced the front and if you guys/gals ever have to do this on a similar bike, make sure you do NOT lose the spring or washer or shim or whatever goes behind the switch, if you replace the front switch you'll figure out what I'm talking about. That was a nightmare because the new one doesn't come with anything and mine was gone so I had to play around with different thickness washers until I got it to work correctly. The back was simple, I just need to bleed the back now because I lost a little pressure when I took the old one off. I road tested it at it's all good..
  • August 24, 2014 4:24 PM PDT
    SAME ISSUE BOTH BREAKS DONT ACTIVATE LAMP I JUMPED THE REAR SWITCH THERE WAS LIGHT DOSE THAT MEAN BOTH SWITCHES ARE BAD
    • 19040 posts
    August 25, 2014 12:23 AM PDT
    I had a similar situation a few years ago. It turned out I had a bad rear lamp socket and a cranky front brake switch. Top that off with my replacing the brake light relay one pin off. Chased that one for a couple days.