rear Sprocket and other things

• June 1, 2014 8:17 AM PDT
    Well soon I'll need to be changing tires. so while i have to pull them off i may as well change rotors, bearings, chain and sprockets. I've been wanting to change my ratio because I have to much low end and want to lower my RPMs at cruising. I have no problem and plenty of power at 25mph in 5th gear. So I'd like to drop the rear sprocket from a 48t to a 47-46 and raise the front from 22 to 24. here's the problem, I have a stock enclosed chain guard. Very unique chain system if you've never seen one. It totally encases the chain and sprockets (secondary) with seals and even a drain plug and uses the engine oil from the oil pump to lube the chain. To find one is rare because most throw it away because of the trouble to work on both the tire and chain. so looking the stock pt# I see that it uses a different rear sprocket than the other models of my year 83 and it's 5x the price of the other models , according to the price list but not available any more and it has a different pt#. I looked up the info at Ronnie's great parts breakdown and part #s  http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc. I like changing chain and sprockets as a set. I've looked online and i see sprockets that they say will fit my bike but it matches the other FXR pt# and not mine. to make it worse a couple have a note  it will not fit my bike. So I'm not sure what to think but I feel it's not going to be easy to find a new rear sprocket for an 83 FXRT (FLTHC will fit also) I could easily and cheaply get rid of the chain guard and go to the other style, but it's so cool to hear guys say "look he still has the chain guard"

Next thing I've seen this on other forums Wheel bearings. If I remove the wheel on a bike or hubs on a car and the bearings are more than a yr old i just replace them. It's to cheap not to! I've seen guys say I took them to the dealer and he checked them and said they're good. WTH? that cost more than new bearings. Or if they're good put them back because new ones could be defective. Bearings are like piston rings, though they're good you never install old rings after pulling them out or changing their postion. bearings wear in (break in) just like rings and as soon as you change the wear pattern they wear out faster. Really? How often do you remove your wheel? Bearings are cheap and easy. that's no time to be stingy.

Rotors I don't buy the high$$$ high performance stuff any more. All my vehicles I start off easy and stop easy. Going full speed from stop light to stop light or fly up and slam on brakes when you know 500-1000ft away you will be stopping just wears out EVERYTHING and increases your chance of an accident. So while I have my wheels off i'm going to replace the rotors. Pads well you could cheapen out and use the old ones if they're ok since they are easy to change without removing the wheel but I recomend new ones they're cheap enough too
  • June 1, 2014 8:47 AM PDT
    here's a couple pics of the chain guard
  • June 1, 2014 11:33 AM PDT
    Nice chain guard,still can't get 25mph in fifth gear unstuck from my brain cells.