A bit of Progress

• 1855 posts
    April 24, 2014 6:00 AM PDT
    New Handlebars:
    Extended cables and wiring.  Wiring was all done in RED and not color-coded so it took me some time to find the ones I needed spliced.  And of course I spliced them with red.  Didn't matter anyway as I didn't know what color they were suppose to be in the first place.  But I did manage to at least mark them for future references.  Other than doing some primary side cleaning  and chain inspection that's about all I got done.  Had to wait for the longer brake cable from the tree to the reservoir.  And of  course I had to read up on a so much stuff that I forgot over the years.  I did do a bit of cleaning and polishing but the bike is going to need a redo in that department. I got attacked by a couple of spiders while cleaning so it's pretty dirty.  A few of the chrome accessories were apparently cheap as some of the chrome was pitting and peeling.  Can't' have that.  I'm going to try my hand at that copper electro-plating on some parts and just paint others.

You'll not see me doing any fabrication in the manner of AquaDave; mostly because I'm not "inclined to be" a mechanic so I'll not make more work for myself.    And, I'm not going overboard at all either.  I really just wanted to get rid of the drag bars but you know how that goes; first one thing then another.  Gotta lose that crank case breather. But she'll look fine when she comes off the lift.  How about that lift anyway.  What a blessing that find was.

• 5417 posts
    April 24, 2014 6:19 AM PDT
    Looking real nice!!!
    • 16795 posts
    April 24, 2014 7:29 AM PDT
    I love it when a plan comes together. :-)
    • 284 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:48 AM PDT
    Had to think about it then I went "Oh yea Shovelhead"

Looks like it will look nice even without major over haul.  I am guessing it runs.

Yea the "Keep it simple stupid" always worked for me.

Keep up the good work.
    • 1 posts
    April 24, 2014 1:27 PM PDT
    Congrats on the progress, now go for a ride.
    My conclusions to owning more then one bike.
    They get jealous of other bikes, so if you buy parts for one "just because" the other one will break a part "just because"
    You must always address each one every time you come into the garage/living quarters where ever they are all stored and worked on.
    If named always refer to their proper names ( don't confuse them)
    They name themselves.
    They almost always want all of your attention all the time.
    And like women every once in a while they throw a fit for no reason what so ever. (they almost always get away with it also).

Now enjoy your shovel.
  • April 25, 2014 1:40 AM PDT
    I can just about imagine what you said or thought when you tore it apart and saw all the red wires.
    Sounds like you got the wiring figured out and you are on to the next project. Are we having fun yet?

• 44 posts
    April 25, 2014 3:09 AM PDT
    Looking good as far as the red wires been there done that and it is no fun take your time its looking great
    • 57 posts
    April 25, 2014 10:54 AM PDT
    Looks Good Jimmy
    • 1855 posts
    June 17, 2014 10:18 AM PDT
    So here we are with the latest update.  Blue Night is off the lift and all her wiring extensions are completed.  The source of the failed starter button was the starter relay and not the button.  Because all the wires are freakin' red it took some time to trace everything.  Plus I'm an electrically illiterate miscreant so, even with help, it took some time.   Didn't have to replace the starter relay however; the contacts were a bit sluggish so I just cleaned it up, sprayed some electrical wire dry and contact anti-corrosion stuff.  It's still a bit touchy and I may have to actually replace the relay one day but .....and here's the good part........two kicks and she fired right up.

I did remove that sump breather; more of a novelty item than a useful addition really.  Would've been something that needed maintenance anyway. 

Took her down the road.  The clutch cable I got wasn't short like I thought it was going to be; I could make a right turn without any problems.  However, the extension of the front brake line from the triple tree to the master cylinder just isn't a good fit.  I don't know if it's the hydraulic fitting on the new line or what.  But brake fluid squirts right out of that hydraulic fitting.  It's just not seating properly for some reason.  Other than needing new tires I'm damn lucky the only problem there seems to be is that front brake assembly. Oh yeah, and the bleeder valve on the right front brake caliper won't hold a wrench.  That can be a problem.  Hate to break the damn thing by using vice grips but I'm sure I can get if off somehow.   

And so here are couple of pics with the new bars and the seat back on.  Oh yeah; I'm freaking excited about putting some tags on her real soon.

Peace
  • June 18, 2014 9:00 AM PDT
    Looks great! btw they make heat shrink wrap in every color. Just add some to each wire and have your own color chart for future reference.
    • 3006 posts
    June 18, 2014 6:30 PM PDT
    Definitely looking sweet !!! Nothing like doing it yourself.Makes it all the more enjoyable!
    • 1855 posts
    June 20, 2014 12:08 AM PDT
    Colored shrink wrap!! Damn never thought of that. I'd say, "next time", but that's not going to happen anytime soon. LOL.
    • 1855 posts
    July 9, 2014 4:36 AM PDT
    It is finished. Believe it or not I stopped all the oil leaks. The only drip on the driveway now is from the auto chain oiler. Fixed the break connections. She runs doggone sweet. Guess it's time to make sure she's all cleaned up and see if I can get a couple grand more than I paid for her. I'm not as cool on owning and working on an old shovelhead as I thought I'd be and I KNOW it won't take long before something needs worked on again. It's been fun though......sort of.........a challenge anyway.

Peace
  • July 16, 2014 2:10 AM PDT
    Congrats on finishing your shovelhead challenge. A buddy of mine would love to own that bike, but he just bought a '06 Fatboy CVO for his second bike and his wife would probably do something illegal of he bought another bike.
    Just enjoy her for a while before you do something you might regret.
    Fred
    • 5417 posts
    July 16, 2014 2:55 AM PDT
    Very cool. Glad to here it is all done and running like it should. Maybe you should think about another project bike when you sell this one... sounds like you had some fun working on it!
    • 284 posts
    August 23, 2014 11:52 AM PDT
    Really came out nice. With all the work you did to it, it will probably run like a dream for years to come.
    • 10 posts
    April 2, 2015 12:24 PM PDT
    Looks real clean Jimmy. What year Is that wide glide? That Lift IS a great deal!!. How did you get the lift?

That sure is a long rod to the rear brake master cylinder.
    • 1855 posts
    April 2, 2015 2:42 PM PDT
    panheadgeorge wrote...
    Looks real clean Jimmy. What year Is that wide glide? That Lift IS a great deal!!. How did you get the lift?

That sure is a long rod to the rear brake master cylinder.

The year is 1978 and the wide glide front end is custom with machined aluminum spacers at the front axle, chrome tubes. The triple trees were also machined aluminum as were the forward controls.   The front end was originally a narrow glide.  As for the brake rod; the master cylinder probably could've been moved forward for a shorter rod but that would've meant a longer brake line to the rear thereby creating a longer fluid passage.  Didn't want to do that. 

The lift I got off of a buddy (Joe) of mine who had his own mc repair shop.  When his partner Bear was killed in an accident Joe just lost interest in the shop.  He and Bear were as close as two brothers could get. They bought, sold, and repaired all makes of bikes.  Anyway, he closed up shop, had two lifts to get rid of and I bought one of 'em.   It also has removeable side ramps/rails to accomodate 4 wheelers.  It's a cool lift.  Air pressure sure makes it easier to lift a bike that's for sure. 

Since we plan on moving I've been trying to sell the bike without much luck. But I'm not "giving" her away.  At $6500 I've included the lift, which is a damn good deal.  Won't sell the lift as long as I have the shovel though.   At 67 years of age and no one to leave the bike too when I'm gone I'd rather have somone keep her in the wind ya know?  I've got a bit of clutch drag; may need plates cleaned or replaced.  She's been sitting all winter and I'll probably take care of the clutch next week.  I do have a 2012 Heritage we'll be traveling on when we move.  And when we move we'll be getting rid of everything but the Heritage.   Ya can't be a horder with no roots.    Thanks for asking about the bike man.  Appreciate it.
    Peace