First Bike

• April 23, 2014 3:05 PM PDT
     I am new to motorcycles and just got my first bike. It's a bit ambitious for a first bike but I fell deep in love and it just felt right. It's a Suzuki LS650 Savage with a bobber kit. I was hoping for some advice as far as starting out or wether I should buy another bike on the side to learn on first. Also hoping there might be some cruiser riders out there in Montgomery Al that could show me the ropes in person and be an active riding partner. I'm also open to hearing "shut up", "go away" or anything else  cuz I'm not to sure how this site works yet. Thanks for any help. 

-TreadThread

• 16795 posts
    April 23, 2014 3:39 PM PDT
    First put a rear fender on it (trust me on that), second find a large area to practice, a school parking lot on the weekend is a good place. Stay off main roads until you feel ready. Have fun.
    • 284 posts
    April 23, 2014 8:18 PM PDT
    Congrats on your first bike.  I remember mine a 57 Panhead.  Nothin cooler than the breeze.

I agree, get a rear fender.

Second take the, most state DMV offer a Motorcycle Rider Course, So do many of the Bike shops.  Harley of Savannah has one it is a few days long and they teach you the basics.

DMV here after you take the course you do not have to take the Motorcycle Licence test you just hand them your Course completion paper and they give you your Motorcycle endorsement.

I agree with the parking lot to learn in.  On Sunday mornings early I like to go to our Mall it has a great outter road that runs all the way around the mall and early Sunday I can ride it without stopping and take advantage of being able to weave in and out of the parking area getting use to quick turns.

Remember to keep twice the distance behind a vehicle in traffic, way more than you would in your cage vehicle.  Pratice stopping at different speeds to see exactly how far a controlled stop is, not a lock up skid.

Remember that single headlamp is hardly visible, so watch those cars on side streets who might pull out infront of you.

My best rides are early Saturday mornin and Sunday morinin like at dawn.  I like to ride out around the Coastal, Marsh area on a big weavy road that circles one of the islands.  Little traffic, I can spend time watchin the scenery and just enjoy a slow easy ride.

Enjoy your Scoot....... 
  • April 26, 2014 10:30 AM PDT
     The ls650 is a great bike. Enjoy. 

• 3006 posts
    April 26, 2014 3:27 PM PDT
    Welcome to the best motorcycle board on the web.

Sweet looking ride, I hope it gives you many enjoyable miles.

Remember to always watch your tail/rearviews, we just had a 25 yr PD / vet ( RIP) get
    rearended at a stop light. It has saved my butt too many times to count.
    Other then that drive like they dont or wont see you

Stay Safe & Enjoy the Ride
  • April 28, 2014 6:42 AM PDT
    That is a sweet looking bike.....just ride slow and safe and you would never see a scratch on that bike! (at least till you get pro)
    Keep that finger on the horn....its an amazing attention grabber!
    Ride safe!
  • December 9, 2014 2:12 PM PST
    welcome to the true freedom. I also agree...put a rear fender on that . be safe
    • 1161 posts
    December 9, 2014 3:25 PM PST
     Bike looks good ya toss a rear fender on.  I still have my first bike as well.  Just finished painting it last week.  Pratice, pratice, pratice on an open parking lot, then small streets until you get comfortable.  Practice turns, starts and stops.  I would also recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety Course.  It helped me a lot.  Plus it also may give you an insurance discount.  Make it how you like it It has taken me over three years to do just that because my bike is older but when I get a newer bike my dad can start riding on this bike.
    • 3006 posts
    December 14, 2014 4:19 AM PST
    Great job on the rebuild/paint.That is really a sweet looking paint job!!!
    • 3 posts
    August 13, 2023 9:27 PM PDT
    Your bike looks cool. I remember my first bike is Aprilia Dorsoduro 900. Now, although its wheel is broken, I still store it in my storage shed.
    This post was edited by trentsanders at August 14, 2023 10:40 AM PDT
    • 5 posts
    September 20, 2023 8:12 PM PDT

Bobbers are cool for bar hoppin

• 2 posts
    November 15, 2023 7:05 AM PST

My first bike is still with me.  It was painted just last week.  Practice until you feel comfortable, first in small streets and then in an open parking lot.

• November 22, 2023 1:01 AM PST
    [blockquote]TreadThread geometry dash scratch said: I am new to motorcycles and just got my first bike. It's a bit ambitious for a first bike but I fell deep in love and it just felt right. It's a Suzuki LS650 Savage with a bobber kit. I was hoping for some advice as far as starting out or wether I should buy another bike on the side to learn on first. Also hoping there might be some cruiser riders out there in Montgomery Al that could show me the ropes in person and be an active riding partner. I'm also open to hearing "shut up", "go away" or anything else cuz I'm not to sure how this site works yet. Thanks for any help.

-TreadThread

[/blockquote]

I also used to have Suzuki LS650 Savage. However, now its brakes are broken.
    This post was edited by Deleted Member at November 22, 2023 3:15 PM PST