Miles to Kilometers

• 1855 posts
    March 23, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
    A friend of mine called me the other day.  He has a number of motorcycles and late last year he bought a 2014 RoadKing.  Because he has a number of motorcycles and his 2005 RoadKing is his regular ride he just now took the RoadKing out for a bit of extended ride.  Throughout his ride it appeared that something was wrong with his odometer, indicating that he was getting unrealistic mileage per gallon.  He took the bike to the dealer to have it checked out.  Come to find out, that little switch on the left handlebar that lets you press to see info on your dash, i.e.rpm, miles travelled, etc. will change your reading to kilometers, depending on how you press the button; number of times or length of time.  I guess the dealer didn't know this either but supposedly had a good laugh over it.

Has anyone else heard of this?  I haven't talked to any dealership myself but I was curious to find out if any of you know anything about this.  I had never heard this before and I don't see anything about it on the HD website.
    BTW, my friends signature line would read something like this:
    '50 Pan
    '60 Pan
    '75 Sportster
    '79 FXE
    '05 Road King
    '10 Road King
    '14 Road Kind

Peace
    • 1855 posts
    March 23, 2014 5:55 AM PDT
    Interesting. 26 views and not one reply.
    • 5419 posts
    March 23, 2014 7:44 AM PDT
    Not on a bike 'cause I never had one with all the fancy functions. But I did use my daughters Jeep a while back and somehow got the speedo working in KPM and couldn't figure out how to get it back to MPH
  • March 23, 2014 8:04 AM PDT
    I've got a '12 Electra Glide and wish I knew I could switch back and forth for when I venture above the border into Canada. It's a pain trying to do the math in my head so I know the speed limit and when the next exit, gas stop is. I might have to break down and read the manual...
    • 3 posts
    March 23, 2014 1:17 PM PDT
    not a bike but in 1978 I bought a new dodge truck and I noticed the mileage wasn't right took it back to the dealer it only read in kilometers could not switch it
  • March 24, 2014 12:32 AM PDT
    hell the only thing I know about the metric system is that I have to use a 10 mm wrench on my battery and a Kilo is 2.2 lbs.
    • 2 posts
    March 24, 2014 12:35 PM PDT
    Bluetick wrote...
    I've got a '12 Electra Glide and wish I knew I could switch back and forth for when I venture above the border into Canada. It's a pain trying to do the math in my head so I know the speed limit and when the next exit, gas stop is. I might have to break down and read the manual...

Simplify your math for you enough to keep you out of the slammer

100KPH = 60MPH

Both nice round numbers

• 3006 posts
    March 26, 2014 6:09 AM PDT
    My father used to brag/tell me about driving the Autobahn in germany,and cruising at 180kph all day long,used to think wow!! before I realized the conversion rate LOL tho doing 110+ in a well built vehicle isnt all that hard.
  • May 9, 2014 1:01 AM PDT
    Good to know! Thanks Jimmy. I ride an 07 electraglide and it does not have that feature.