Hearing Aids

• March 18, 2014 11:29 AM PDT
     Well I hate to admit this but the OLD Dragon is loosing his hearing. Years around Jet Engines, guns, loud music etc has taken it's toll.
    This is my question for anyone out there that has these little expensive ear plugs installed. I was told that the difference is not immediate, something about the brain has to re-adjust to the ability to hear again. My problem lies in the upper ranges, not the Medium to low ranges, so.......
    What are the pro's and con's of wearing these little guys. I mean what do I have to look forward to.....

Thanks everyone

What's that's ya say....Dragon
    • 1855 posts
    March 18, 2014 12:15 PM PDT
    I just got some from the VA and having them is weird. My own voice is almost like I'm in a metal tube or something. They don't seem to do much and I guess that means I have to get use to them. Problem is I've tucked 'em away in a drawer. I don't like 'em and I'm not so sure I'll give 'em another chance. Maybe

Peace
  • March 18, 2014 12:51 PM PDT
    Jimmy,
    You sound just like my wife. She went thru three different sets until she found one that she "kinda likes". The most recent one is an Oticon in the ear. She still doesn't much like them, but when she has them in, she can hear, when not I HAVE TO TALK REALLY LOUD so she can hear me.

They take getting used to. All of a sudden, you can hear yourself, and it tends to scare you (or so my wife tells me). Keep at it dude, you never know when you might like to hear the EMT coming down the road.

Jon
    • 611 posts
    March 22, 2014 7:06 AM PDT
    Yep Dragon, I have a pair of the 'behind-the-ear' and I LOVE 'em! I can hear what my Lady is sayin now without having to say 'What?' every third sentence. Of course, I don't wear them when I ride, shoot or am working in the yard or on the bike. But I do put them in when I want to hear the tv without turning it up to Mach 3 and I wear them @ the movies, so that I can hear the dialog.
    All in all, I like 'em. Yes, it took months before I got used to them... so put the bastards in and get used to them.
    Edge 'Huh?' Walker
  • March 22, 2014 11:35 AM PDT
    Sometimes I just move my mouth like I'm talking while saying nothing and wait for folks to turn their hearing aids up.....than you can just add a letter or a word in occasionally.... hehe heheh
  • March 23, 2014 6:16 AM PDT
    Trippin wrote...
    Sometimes I just move my mouth like I'm talking while saying nothing and wait for folks to turn their hearing aids up.....than you can just add a letter or a word in occasionally.... hehe heheh

Oh dude that's just wrong........I like it...LOL

• 1855 posts
    March 23, 2014 8:57 AM PDT
    Yeah well I keep telling ya''ll that there's no difference when I have them in. Turn 'em up. Turn 'em down. All the same to me. AND, I hear just fine anyway. I think the VA is full of shit!!!! The different tones I supposedly can't hear I don't need to hear. And I don't say "What?" all the time either. Nothing escapes my attention.

Peace
  • March 24, 2014 12:29 AM PDT
    NightDragon wrote...
    Trippin wrote...

Oh dude that's just wrong........I like it...LOL

Yeah... I used to do that to my Grandmother. She would crank that thing up and you could hear it just going WEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Man, she would thump me in the head!!!! I sure do miss my grand parents...!

• March 24, 2014 4:46 AM PDT
    I have an in the ear set, and yes I sometimes get the feedback wheeeee..........
    Yes, it took a while for my brain to adjust to being able to hear again. My only advice is related to the fact that I am a hunter. On my first hunting trip with them it is dead silent in the woods. I turned the hearing aids all the way up to better hear something approaching......a nice 10 pointer walked in, I shot with a 22-250........DUDE, get the decibel safety shut off! I dang near came out of the tree stand!!!
    • 834 posts
    March 25, 2014 8:29 AM PDT
    My dad has worn one for the past 10 years. I remember when he first started he went though a couple before he found one that works for him. But for some reason he still can't hear me when I ask to borrow money.
  • March 26, 2014 2:42 PM PDT
    Hi Night Dragon. I have been wearing a hearing aid for the past 12 years and have been thru a few. I now have the Mirage from Miracle-Ear and love it. It its programmed to you and once fine tuned it has perfect sound, just like normal hearing - at least what I remember of normal hearing. Plus it is small and almost invisible so no one even knows you are wearing it.
  • March 26, 2014 10:53 PM PDT
    Hey Toni.....nice K-RS in your photo....! 2002???
    • 1855 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:44 AM PDT
    @Toni, did we say welcome to the forum? Welcome to the forum

Peace