top end rebuild

• March 15, 2014 3:53 PM PDT
    Can you believe the compression was still good and less than 2% between the cylinders? I pulled it down because my rocker bushings were worn and my gaskets were leaking oil.
    • 16837 posts
    March 15, 2014 5:08 PM PDT
    Apparently your valves are seating properly, and the baked-on stuff was making your combustion chamber smaller.
  • March 16, 2014 3:15 AM PDT
    Ethanol.....?
  • March 16, 2014 4:43 AM PDT
    just gas I found my rattle one of my wrist pin keepers came out. How do you get those out? Mine are like flat key chains. They overlap almost 50% of each other. since I'm replacing I drilled them
    • 16837 posts
    March 16, 2014 5:47 AM PDT
    Take a small flat blade screwdriver, then lift the end a little and hold it out of the groove, get a second small screwdriver and run it around, like taking a tire off a rim.
  • March 16, 2014 5:59 AM PDT
    there's no way to grab it, they overlap. I tried the screwdrivers. these are not C-clips
  • March 16, 2014 12:39 PM PDT
    getting there. I have to go borrow a valve spring compressor. I have one but it's to big. I'm going to have to buy new jugs
    • 16837 posts
    March 16, 2014 2:22 PM PDT
    aquadave wrote...
    there's no way to grab it, they overlap. I tried the screwdrivers. these are not C-clips

I know what they are, I've been working on my own Harleys since I was 14, I was telling you how to do it, I can't send you my skills telepathicly.

• March 17, 2014 9:32 AM PDT
    I know what you're saying, but I've looked and looked and these clips don't have the little tab to grab with a screwdriver. they're straight. doesn't matter I got new coming
    • 2 posts
    • 2 posts
  • March 22, 2014 1:54 PM PDT
    doesn't matter I got my Weiscos in and they use c clips. Besides if pistons come off new ones go on. All my parts are in but I got to put all my time in building the trailer for Augusta. I got one head finished tonight
  • March 23, 2014 1:01 PM PDT
    Between working on that trailer and trying to get the bike running I'm tired!. Got my heads finished, my cylinders honed. Ready to put them in the dishwasher when no one is looking. painting all of it black pearl.
  • April 10, 2014 11:46 AM PDT
    just got home from setting up the catering trailer at the masters and finished putting the bike together and just fired it up. Riding around doing an easy break in. burning off paint and gasket shellac
    • 1855 posts
    April 10, 2014 12:48 PM PDT
    How old is the bottom end?
  • April 11, 2014 1:45 AM PDT
    prob 5-6 yrs