Hoping to ride on this warm Feb day

• February 23, 2014 4:11 AM PST
    I thought I'd take my Rebel for a spin since the weather is so lovely today and she's been cooped up in the garage a few months. When I went to move it out of the garage, I noticed the shocks on the front fork have wayyyy less pressure than usual.  Before I could not get them to budge more than a little when I pushed down on the handlebars. Bfriend seems to think they are ok and will gain pressure back with some usage. I am not convinced.  There is no evidence of leakage.
    Is it normal for the pressure to be low after a bike has been sitting a while and is bfriend correct about the pressure coming back with use?

• 3006 posts
    February 23, 2014 4:29 PM PST
    You should refer to your owners manual & see if there is a maintenance schedule to follow for keeping the shocks working properly. If they are responding really mushy then I would advise having a professional mechanic look it over never, heard of this happening & it was not a leaking fork seal.Good luck
  • February 23, 2014 8:45 PM PST
    Thanks. No factory manual and Rebel manuals are not available. I have the Haynes but it doesn't troubleshoot this problem.
    • 19034 posts
    February 23, 2014 10:12 PM PST
    I do not believe pressure will come back with use. Drain, service, and charge with recommended pressure. I am a believer of new fork fluid every spring anyway.
    • 3006 posts
    February 24, 2014 3:12 AM PST
    Your welcome & I am sort of surprised that a manual cant be found/online even?
    I agree with RoadDog.Thats probably the most logical thing to do.I just dont see where you can ride the shocks back into being rideable ? Get a qualified person to make that call.
    • 5420 posts
    February 24, 2014 5:45 AM PST
    Yep, front shocks are important for more than just comfort... if they go out you are almost certain to loose control. I would do as above and service the shocks (or have them serviced). I am sure you can find a local independant shop who can do it at a reasonable cost.