Trailering a Motorcycle

• 57 posts
    January 29, 2014 12:49 AM PST
     Looking for advice on trailering our Bikes,been getting a lot of differing opinions from friends and dealers around here what do you think,wheel chock or not,in gear or neutral,on the kickstand or upright,will be using a 1year old 8x16 borrowed trailer,we have never trailered the bikes before any Helpful advice
  • January 29, 2014 12:58 AM PST
    Hi Hunter. The bike should be in gear, always. No need for chucks. Tie down the front forks (suspension) very tight on both sides. The shocks should be just off the full travel just short of bottoming out. Then secure the rear end horizontally from both sides. Done.
  • January 29, 2014 1:08 AM PST
    Definately use wheel chocks, I always stand bikes straight up with four tie down straps (two forward, two rear) and in neutral. There is no reason to leave bike in gear if they are properly secured, although I don't think it would hurt if you feel better that way. It is a good idea to compress the suspension a little to keep tension on straps but don't over do it so as blow out a fork seal on bumps and check strap tightness every once in awhile to make sure they didn't loosen some. Check a little more often at the beginning of the trip as this is when you will see the need to make any adjustments.
    • 1855 posts
    January 29, 2014 3:04 AM PST
    First off; use ratchet-type tie down straps and not the pull and lock kind because the pull and lock will slip. If you have wheel chocks use 'em. It can't hurt and it's the best and easiest way to keep the front wheel from turning.

Upright and in neutral.

Use separate short loop straps on the handlebars and hook your tie downs to those. Tightening the front tie downs will compress the front suspension; you don't have to make a big deal out doing that. I've seen guys jump up and down on the bike while compressing the front brake while some other dude is tightening the front straps. You don't have to do that. In fact, you shouldn't do that. The suspension needs to be active, not bound up. Also, the front tie-downs should be hooked so as if you wanted to pull the bike forward. This will keep the bike from bouncing side to side/up and down and the straps from loosening.

Rear tie-downs should be hooked as if you wanted to pull the bike backwards. Where on the bike you should hook your straps depends on the bike. I see you have a bagger in your avatar. I'd remove the hard bags and load them up in your cage. Hook the straps somewhere on the frames seat cradle.

So now comes my question. Are you trailering a bagger to be worked on or to take on a trip?

Peace
    • 57 posts
    January 29, 2014 5:53 AM PST
    Thanks for the recommendations,the trailer has two wheel chocks now and can early install another one, plentiful anchors on the floor and walls there will be three bikes for sure,my Ultra classic a Street Glide and a Dyna.The weather in Florida has been calling us for weeks but Im the only one retired so waiting for them to get things in order,leaving Feb.15 ,hope to park in Pensacola and cruise down Gulf side and back up Ocean side, where we park truck and trailer depends on temp when we get there,Thanks Guys sounds like some good info,I'll load them and try a test drive this weekend.
  • January 29, 2014 12:19 PM PST
    A couple things too remember also is too use tie down straps that are made for larger bikes and also fairly new. Don't be cheap when it comes time to buy Wheel chocks and tie down straps. And the most important advice is too slow down and don't worry about getting to your destination at light speed!!!
  • February 3, 2014 11:07 AM PST
    It's getting loaded you really need to understand. If you ride on don't go slow don't take your feet off the pegs and don't worry about stopping till you're fully on the trailer. If you push or use the engine to walk the bike up, use a ramp wide enough for both you and the bike and long enough to allow for a less steep incline.   youtube is loaded with loading videos even the ones claiming to be the right way are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGX8FM1EnE />