funny how things happen

• January 9, 2014 12:45 PM PST
    again I guess this is a riding story. Remember Rupp minibikes? B&S engine, centrifugal clutch, small wheels and sheetmetal fenders. back in 73 I was 13. A buddy had one we were riding. The clutch was sticking so you ran with it and jumped on. To switch you would jump off on one side and run while another grabbed it and jumped on. Long story shorten. a buddy and me got tangled my leg got caught in the wheel and cut off by the sheetmetal fender, all the way off. I got rushed to the hospital and the Doctors worked on me sewed it back on and gave me a 15% chance it won't have to go. I made a full recovery. Skip ahead in 2002 I was going through a NASTY custody case. One of my lawyers was named Thrower, I asked if his dad was a surgeon he said yes. I said he worked on me when I was a kid I got hurt on a minibike. He said "I always wanted a minibike but my dad always told me a story of some kid the cut his leg off on one" I said tell your dad I said hi and I'm ok thanks to him. 
    • 1855 posts
    January 10, 2014 12:47 AM PST
    Yep....that's a riding story alright. The only thing I can think of now, because I raised two boys, is how your folks must've felt. Mine use to scare the bejesus out of me. Damn kids anyway!!! LOL Kind of cool ya met the doc's kid even if the circumstances weren't the best (custody battle).

Peace
  • January 10, 2014 1:38 AM PST
    Wow, we'll you were a veteran rite front the start! I was hit by a car April 18th 2013 (not on the bike) by a drunk driver. I am a tow truck driver and was pulling a car out of a flooded viaduct, after I got it out I was unhooking it and just when I was don't I was hit out of nowhere by a drunk driver that was I guess so drunk he didn't see the blue flashing lights from the squad car that was blocking the road. Anyways he hit me, and so hard I was knocked out of my clothes, really! When I landed I had on only my underwear, socks, and t-shirt. Lol, I was in bad shape but not as bad as it could have been. Fast forward the long story I'm back on my feet and walking again, but before I could even walk I was back on the bike. I was determined to make it to the Freedom Run here is Illinois. I could ride but not walk so I needed a rig to hold my crutches. Yeah I figured it out, a 2' piece of 4" PVC pipe wire tied to my frame and stuck the crutches in and made two holes on either side to hold them in with a bungee cord so they wouldn't fly out. It was the best feeling to be on my bike again and not even be able to walk without crutches, shit it was still hard to even get on the bike but I did it and once I was on I felt almost like nothing was wrong with me, I felt like me again. So..... I liked your story and I'm glad I didn't stop you from doing what you loved.

Everybody says bikes are dangerous but hey I could have lived life by all the rules and did everything sake and I still got hit while I was working to take care of my family by a drunk driver that I didn't even know was coming not did I expect it with the police road block and all, so I say live like you want to live and do what you want to do and whatever happens is going to happen. I'm glad my guardian angel (mom, r.i.p.) was with me that day so I could be back in the saddle again!
  • January 10, 2014 1:41 AM PST

• 3006 posts
    January 11, 2014 8:57 AM PST
    Great post,difficult as life is we learn to overcome what seem are insurmountable obstacles in life,in recovery rejuvenation and growth as people.Its when we stop listening that we defeat ourselves in growing and receiving the truth in life.Its incredible that coincidence would lead you back to such an encounter,and more mind boggling is the odds of such happening.Glad you survived to tell the tale !!!