Winter storage

• December 4, 2013 3:19 PM PST
    Temperature's dropping fast up here in the northeast, and pretty soon I'm going to have to surrender to the winter.  Just got my bike this summer, so I'm unsure what I should do to it before I shut it away in the garage for two or three non riding months. Whadda you think?
    • 16825 posts
    December 4, 2013 3:29 PM PST
    Fill up your gas tank and add this: http://stabilfuelstabilizer.com/
    Get one of these to maintain your battery: http://batterytender.com/ /> Cover your bike with a breathable cover
    Put plywood under your tires as well.
    • 5420 posts
    December 4, 2013 3:36 PM PST

Check this post for some good tips...  Winterizing Your Motorcycle

• 846 posts
    December 5, 2013 4:29 AM PST
    Living in the northeast myself I can say all of the above. Oil and gas are critical for an easy spring. Plus leave it be till you'll ride full time, if not start the whole process over again.
  • December 5, 2013 7:09 AM PST
    Thanks for the advice, guys! It sounds good! I appreciate it. And Lucky, can you tell me what the idea is behind the plywood?
    • 5420 posts
    December 5, 2013 7:20 AM PST
    Not sure Clutch, that was RevBigJohn that posted about the plywood.

But I can say I have heard that before for both motorcycles and a lot of car guys that have show cars that sit will tell you the same thing. I just don't know why.

BTW - another good way to winterize your motorcycle is to move to Southern California and just ride it all year.
    That's what I did

• December 5, 2013 10:47 AM PST
    You got that right, Lucky!
    • 16825 posts
    December 5, 2013 3:53 PM PST
    Plywood under tires of a stored vehicle is an insulator against acids in aggregates that can weaken tires.
    • 1855 posts
    December 5, 2013 8:44 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Plywood under tires of a stored vehicle is an insulator against acids in aggregates that can weaken tires.

Moisture migration from concrete will also rust the underside of the frame.  I put used carpet strips on the floor of my garage and always park my bikes on the strips.

• 284 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:23 PM PST
    For the 2.5 to 3.5 months it is to cold to ride I crank the bike up 2 to 3 times a week. Let it warm up, it sits in the garage, and after it hits over 150*F then just ride it out onto the driveway and then move it back inside. Once it is warm, I rev it a little, low rpm rev, and after about 30 mins of run time I turn it off. Worked well last winter, no need for a tender, and it gets fresh gas at least once a month. Plus I add fuel additives Octane boost and stabilizer.