rattle in motor

• October 19, 2013 12:24 PM PDT
    I have a lite rattle in my motor on my 2004 Harley soft tail classic I was at fort smith Harley the tech there said it had a nut loose and the rattle is coming from the right side down by the gear shift in the front please help and let me know what I need to do to fix it
    • 19040 posts
    October 19, 2013 10:25 PM PDT
    Can I ask why the mechanic didn't fix it? There are several nuts in that vicinity so the obvious is find it and tighten it.
    • 1855 posts
    October 20, 2013 3:35 AM PDT
    The only thing I can think of that would really obvious would have to do with the heel/toe shifter or the shifter rod. Maybe the horn? Or maybe even what Lucky suggested to another fella; the kickstand. If it ain't obvious you need to pull the primary cover and look.
  • October 22, 2013 2:53 PM PDT
    thanks for the reply im thinking it in the primary cover but not sure if there is a gasket on it
    • 5420 posts
    October 22, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
    billjoyce wrote...
    I have a lite rattle in my motor on my 2004 Harley soft tail classic I was at fort smith Harley the tech there said it had a nut loose and the rattle is coming from the right side down by the gear shift in the front please help and let me know what I need to do to fix it

I'm confused (but that happens a lot)

Is it coming from the right side, or by the gear shift which would be the left side???

If it is by the gear shift, it could be the shift linkage.  I have and afer market, kind of heavy shift linkage and I can hear it rattle when idling.  If I reach down and hold the linkage that rattle goes away.

• 1855 posts
    October 23, 2013 1:58 AM PDT
    billjoyce wrote...
    thanks for the reply im thinking it in the primary cover but not sure if there is a gasket on it

Oh my!!  Yes there is.  You NEED to get a maintenance manual for your particular motorcycle if you plan on working on it.
    • 844 posts
    October 23, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
    Did the mechanic say where the nut was loose?
    • 48 posts
    December 13, 2013 4:33 PM PST
    WOW, I'da thought the mechanic woulda just fixed it..thats what Technicians do !!!!! Second Jimmy's rec, get yourself a shop manual before you crack that nut.
    • 1855 posts
    December 14, 2013 1:02 AM PST
    Why in the hell don't folks follow up and tell us what they found out, how it got fixed? It's like the attention span of a gnat for god's sake. Geeeeeeeesh!!!
  • October 1, 2014 5:44 AM PDT
     Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Why in the hell don't folks follow up and tell us what they found out, how it got fixed? It's like the attention span of a gnat for god's sake. Geeeeeeeesh!!!

LMFAO!!!!
    post something then Never check it agene. It hale s but others can learn form the post. So it's not a total loss. 

• October 3, 2014 7:43 AM PDT
    Well at least we all learned where not to take our bikes for service/work. What kind of tech says hey there is a loose nut! Yea in his head!!
    • 19040 posts
    October 3, 2014 11:30 PM PDT
     That mech would prob turn the radio up to drown out the noise of metal to metal brakes...