Glasses

• 1 posts
    August 20, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
     Okay so I do not need prescriptions yet, always said when I need them to drive I would go get Lasik... but on a bike about in the Ozark moutains in a thunderstrom lost my photochromic riding glasses.  Was woundering what brand did people like best,  and why???

I have only had the photochromic for the last 6 years.  I like them because I only need one set of glasses.  Less space in my saddle bags.  Do not like that they do not get really dark, like that they do go clear.  No changing to clears at night, dusk or dawn.  Oh and I forgot to mention fit, I am a kind of tiny person and my reading glasses are kids... You would think a big head like mine was at least need an adult size but nope.(LOL)   Any thought??? Have been doing a lot of searching and have almost gave up on finding ones that fit right. Would it be best to just have made what I want??? and if so who makes a quility pair that is worth the cost?  I do not mind paying for what I want, I just want what I pay for.
    • 844 posts
    August 20, 2013 3:11 AM PDT
    Sorry you lost your glasses, I know once you find a pair that fit just right and work well for you you never want to let them go. Anytime I have to go to new glasses it takes me a month of trying them on to find some that fit just right.

I have a pair of Wiley X that fit pretty good when I got them and then when I was at the eyeglass shop with my wife and they were fitting her prescriptions for her I asked it they could adjust my Wiley Xs and they did. Now they fit even better. I never liked the ones that change by themselves personally. These have interchangeable lenses that I keep in my windshield pouch.
  • August 20, 2013 8:00 AM PDT
    Sorry... I use starlite safety glasses for $4.50 a piece. Protects against UVA and UVB rays, buy on line in bulk..the get scratched... I toss em and use a new pair.

Trippin
    • 2 posts
    August 20, 2013 11:24 AM PDT
    Go with Trippin get safety glasses, clear, amber & mirrored dark. - Lots of them at the hardware store or Wally-World.
    Good ones look about as good as name brand sunglasses.
    Lose them, so what.
    • 846 posts
    August 21, 2013 5:40 AM PDT
    Sorry to hear about your glass its tough to get even the same pair just like the ones you had. I wear my perception glass when the windshield is on as they are photochromic. When it off (i can ride without them just can't tell what speed i'm going) I use a pair of goggles that have the yellow tint to them. They're good for day and night riding and I can see better in the shadows during the day. You can get a pair with interchangeable lens and test them out before settling for a fancy expensive pair. I don't think I'll use dark lens again.
    • 3006 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:42 PM PDT
    I am using two different pairs,one is a pair of snowskiing glasses w/upper half red tint.lower half clear,great for riding at night,or on rainy/cloudy days,my other pair is super dark aviator style for those blinding sunlight days.I carry both usually one pair in the bags.
    Never tried photochrom's,tho if I had the money to burn I would most likely go get some highend ski glasses.
    • 467 posts
    August 24, 2013 11:43 AM PDT
    I got my Transition goggles (prescription) from Eyemart. They are designed for women and fit my more narrow face.
  • August 28, 2013 4:17 AM PDT
    I used to wear quality glasses that cost over $100 a pair, but I found they just got damaged or lost to often when riding. I have gone to the $15 glasses I find at the vendor booths. They work just as well, just don't always look as nice.
  • September 6, 2013 3:12 AM PDT
     I was working in the Bugslide booth at the Harley 110th anniversary.  One of the things it does is great is clean glasses.  The event in Milwaukee was hot and humid.  Everyone had smudges on their shades, so I started approaching people and asking them, "Got smudges on your shades?"  Then, I offered to clean them.  As you'd expect, literally every person put the cleaned glasses back on and said, "Wow!"  

Point is, you can protect your high-value shades from scratches by using a good product on them.  Anything that works great on Lexan will work on your shades.

Disclaimer:  I am not connected to Bugslide in any financial way.  However, a very good friend owns the company.

Psycho
    Marines MC

• 16819 posts
    September 7, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
    I've always been a goggles guy, but have been known to sport a pair of KDs.