You can always tell,,,

• 63 posts
    June 4, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
    You can always tell a rider that hasn't had an emergency incident yet.    You know the one,,, sneakers, shorts, no shirt,,,,, riding a brand new shiny bike.

I hope they don't ever have to plant a foot in an evassive move, or worse yet,,,, take a slide.  I'm one to not where a jacket, all the time, but I always have pants, boots, and at least a shirt.

I've had bee fly into a tee shirt sleeve and down my back before,  and I can't imagine getting one up the pant leg of a pair of shorts.
  • June 4, 2013 1:48 PM PDT
    IDK, sometimes first thing in the morning I want a donut and you're lucky if my wangs covered as I head out let alone wearing full gear...., of course sometimes the fat guy in me beats my near decade of riding experience.
    • 846 posts
    June 5, 2013 4:41 AM PDT
    The ones that get me are the flip flops on the sport bikes.

Once came along a group of sport bike riders with a injured rider in a rotary (round about for some). It seems due to her size and foot peg location her foot got hung up on something in the road. With sneakers on and no resistance she either fractured or broke her ankle. A good boot may have lessen this some what.
  • June 5, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
    In 1975 I was riding down the highway at a pretty good clip when my front brake seized (I think some sand or gravel flew up into it). She stopped and I kept going....I was wearing boots, jeans, sleeveless denim jacket and a black t-shirt. As I slid down the highway I was able to catch myself and stand up. I was still wearing my boots, jeans, sleeveless denim jacket, and the back half of that black t-shirt. Arms and chest were hamburger! I think about that everytime I see someone wearing as little as possible when riding.
  • June 5, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
    In 1975 I was riding down the highway at a pretty good clip when my front brake seized (I think some sand or gravel flew up into it). She stopped and I kept going....I was wearing boots, jeans, sleeveless denim jacket and a black t-shirt. As I slid down the highway I was able to catch myself and stand up. I was still wearing my boots, jeans, sleeveless denim jacket, and the back half of that black t-shirt. Arms and chest were hamburger! I think about that everytime I see someone wearing as little as possible when riding.
    • 3006 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:05 AM PDT
    Its really something that makes me cringe,seeing people riding with tennis shoes or sandals out here.We get a lot of the youngsters doing that sillyness,yet every so often I see older guys,like yesterday,riding with shorts n tennis shoes.

I always wear protection in some form or another boots jacket helmet,same goes for my passengers I have made tht always clear with anyone who rode along.
  • June 5, 2013 7:07 AM PDT
    It is HOT down here in Mississippi and I keep seeing the shorts and tennis shoes riders - some without shirts, some wearing flip flops - and I think, WHY am I riding with all this gear on?? Leather chaps, armored jacket, gloves, full face helmet.

Then I remember my wife telling me that she wants me safe and that I'm too good looking to get road rash.

I suppose their significant others don't think a road rash would damage their looks all that much.

:)
  • June 5, 2013 1:11 PM PDT
    Makes my skin crawl everytime I see these folks.
    Not only must they look forward to meat grinder asphalt but the oven fry heat off the blacktop.I pray that if I'm ever down in the heat somebody will be able to either move me gently or pour some water on me to help cool me down.I always wear jeans,boots,gloves and helmet and try to wear my vest as long as I can in the heat.I'll start my day in sleeves but by noon it has been packed.
    • 3006 posts
    June 7, 2013 4:24 AM PDT
    What I do in the high heat situations is pull out my shift textile jacket,sans the body armor.
    Mainly for protection riding the freeway/higway.Its breathable mesh,keeps me safe & provides better cooling than my leather jacket.
    around town I confess its my heavy leather vest in the heat,yet we really only get true heat along bout end of august thru maybe oct. around San Francisco Bay.Rite now its sunny n 65 out.we might hit 75 today.
  • Buz
    June 13, 2013 5:08 PM PDT
    Personal choice, I don't give a shit how other people dress
  • June 14, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

• 1 posts
    June 14, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    What I do in the high heat situations is pull out my shift textile jacket,sans the body armor.
    Mainly for protection riding the freeway/higway.Its breathable mesh,keeps me safe & provides better cooling
    than my leather jacket.
    around town I confess its my heavy leather vest in the heat,yet we really only get true heat along bout end of august thru maybe oct. around San Francisco Bay.Rite now its sunny n 65 out.we might hit 75 today.

Always ride with all the stuff....fullface helmet, jacket, chaps, gloves, and boots.  I'm allergic to road rash...

• 57 posts
    June 14, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
    I think its human nature when we see the tragic aftermath to say WTF was that guy thinking and don't think it has anything to do with their experience level or new bike or old. The safety gear is there,but if they won't use it,thats on them I think they call it Choice
  • July 16, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
    My gear is controlled by weather always good boots and jeans but that's the norm for me anyways in the summer cut off t shirts fingerless gloves and a brain bucket being all leathered up without the weather to necisitate it takes away from the experience for me
    • 1855 posts
    July 16, 2013 11:54 AM PDT
    Well, I never ride in anything less than boots. I never go without a shirt. I never wear shorts. Other than that I'm probably still not as protected as maybe I should be.
    • 5420 posts
    July 17, 2013 5:58 AM PDT
    Every time I see that I just shake my head. Especially when I see someone riding with flip-flops!

At a minimum I always have boots and long pants. I do ride often with a t-shirt , but now that I saw my jacket after the accident, I will be wearing long sleaves from now on !!!
    • 1516 posts
    July 17, 2013 10:39 AM PDT
    Hawksfire wrote...
    It is HOT down here in Mississippi and I keep seeing the shorts and tennis shoes riders - some without shirts, some wearing flip flops - and I think, WHY am I riding with all this gear on?? Leather chaps, armored jacket, gloves, full face helmet.

Then I remember my wife telling me that she wants me safe and that I'm too good looking to get road rash.

I suppose their significant others don't think a road rash would damage their looks all that much.

:)

you know that's right..

• 1 posts
    July 18, 2013 5:10 AM PDT
    Well I am a bit of an odd duck... have been on the back of the Wooly mans dresser in dresses and high heels, for a wedding or two. Have taken a bike for a little spin in shorts and tennis shoes after working on them usually about 5 to ten miles. I think one time I attacked the Wooly man when he came home and stradled the tank facing him to welcome him home and he took off with me still sitting on the tank that way... No shoes and shorts and tank top only. So I am sure everyone else was thinking what the heck when they see that.
    • 1855 posts
    July 18, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
    Bitchy wrote...
    Well I am a bit of an odd duck... have been on the back of the Wooly mans dresser in dresses and high heels, for a wedding or two. Have taken a bike for a little spin in shorts and tennis shoes after working on them usually about 5 to ten miles. I think one time I attacked the Wooly man when he came home and stradled the tank facing home to welcome him home and he took off with me still sitting on the tank that way... No shoes and shorts and tank only. So I am sure everyone else was thinking what the heck when they see that.

Well now, that's a horse of a different color. 
    • 1 posts
    July 18, 2013 9:24 AM PDT
     Jimmy at one of those weddings told the Wooly man are you riding me to the wedding or am I changing to slacks and ridin myself there,  he rode me there... And when he took off with me setting backwards on the tank I was horrified... NEVER have I greated him that way again...