AAARrrrrrggggggggghhhhh..., Washed my bike now it won't sta

• June 4, 2013 6:58 AM PDT
    I posted the other day about the ride that kinda beat me up the other day,  and pictures of my muddy-ass bike yesterday morning (http://www.cyclefish.com/tcwjoe/albums/7532).  I got home last night and decided I have to wash my bike, it was too disgusting to leave that way.  I typically just turn the hose on it every once in a while when it gets grimey, but I did the full wash this time:  soap, leather stuff, sponge, dryed it with a rag.

This morning I went to take off for work.  My neighbor is an 85-ish year old man so I push the bike down the driveway and as I coast to the street I start it once I am away from his bedroom (I have V&H longshots with no baffles.... he hates me but I don't want to kill him).  I tried starting it on the way but it wouldn't fire, I turned and coasted up a house length with nothing.  I ended up giving up, turning around and pushing it back up the driveway.

I'm hoping a day in the sun will dry it out, but this is why I never wash it....
    • 5419 posts
    June 4, 2013 10:02 AM PDT
    Does it sound like it wants to start (i.e. like the plugs are firing) or just nothing... the motor just spinning with no spitting or coughing.
    • 63 posts
    June 4, 2013 12:09 PM PDT
    Hey, if it won't fire after washing it up,,, at least you found out you might have a "wet" problem at home.
    More than likely, you dislodged a wire or something like that during the rub down and polish.
    Check you fuses first,,, back to basics.
  • June 4, 2013 1:50 PM PDT
    I walked home and it fired right up. I must've just got too aggressive in my cleaning. I really figured that was all it needed, just frustrated this morning it was a beautiful morning.
    • 846 posts
    June 5, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
    You didn't say if you used a good old fashion hose or a power washer. After hearing several stores of water from pressure washers getting into spots on a bike not meant for water I will only use the hose with a lite spray. Its amazing were water can get into.
  • June 5, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
    Just a hose, but I washed the crap out of the bike.