6-1-13 After Foam Fest ride... wet and windy

• June 2, 2013 3:17 PM PDT
    Yesterday I rode to the Foam Fest my wife Elly, sister -in-law Jessica, and their friend Latrisha did in Werden just outside of Ottawa, IL(they did great), but despite the relatively short distance (140 miles in total) that was a brutal ride.

On the way out there the winds were ridiculous and being country riding, ling stretches with no stops there was no catching my breath.  The winds were strong enough that at 70 MPH the cross winds were blowing my leather tassles sideways across me.  It was one of those deals where just keeping in lane was tough.

After Foam Fest (with bonding time with fellow smart ass my niece Maddy) it decided to rain HARD.  That kind of cold ass rain with huge stinging drops where you go "shit, was that hail..., I hope that's not hail".  I ran up to the bar half a mile up to sit it out when I got a text from Elly she was stuck in the mud in the parking lot.  I went back, helped dig out three or four cars in the way of her car, then got her out.  The weather broke, but nearly every car needed to be assisted so I stuck around an hour or so after that to help.  I was a wet, soggy, muddy mess (my Leatherman, my most prized possession next to my bike was used to cut away sections of fence for dragging cars out by BobCat).  

I saw the sky changing again for the worse with the temperature dropping and took off.  I got as far as Somonauk (followed bad directions from someone at the place because I didn't want to take the Express way if the storms hit again) when the rain caught up to me again.  I sat out a quick shower and rode on and called Elly when I hit Yorkville.  

Maddy and Jess wanted to go home and Elly didn't want to drive so I kept rolling.  The rain hit me again right after I hit 47 and did not let up until I got 1 block from home.  I've has worse runs, but this was an ass kicker.  Despite all that it was still an awesome ride...., my bike needs a serious wash!
    • 5419 posts
    June 2, 2013 4:39 PM PDT
    Sounds like a hell of a weekend!
  • June 2, 2013 9:49 PM PDT
    Rides like this one will stay with you forever.