Bee or wasp stings

• May 27, 2013 3:18 AM PDT
    It's offically summer when I get my first sting of the summer season.Happy to say this one wasn't on my face or in my mouth like summers past.Yesterday,I thought a small rock was imbedded just above the bend of my elbow while rolling down the road well that was not the case.Soon realized it was a stinger which I pulled out before I pulled the bike over,thinking I had something in my first aid kit that would do the trick.Wrong again,already had been used :-( I know there are plenty of home made remedies to put on stings like meat tenderizer,ammonia,vinegar or baking soda.Would like to hear from each of you what you carry on your bike for on the spot needs.
    • 5420 posts
    May 27, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
    I usually just pull the stinger and wipe it with an alcohol wipe I have in my first aid kit.
  • May 27, 2013 10:59 AM PDT
    scrape the stinger away (pocket knife, credit card) rather than grab it and pull...
    this way you'll avoid squirting more poison into the sting site.
    • 19040 posts
    May 27, 2013 9:44 PM PDT
    One of my oft used remedies for anything on the skin is Vitamin E. Pierce a capsule and rub the oil directly on the sting, burn, scrape, etc.
    • 9 posts
    May 28, 2013 8:20 AM PDT
    Keep a small plastic bottle of WHITE VINEGAR, in your saddlebags. It'll take the sting outta most bites, and sunburn as well, til you can "dr" it, up.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • May 28, 2013 11:43 AM PDT
    Tweek, this thing got me Real Dang good.I used the vinegar once at home about 30 minutes after and started taking Benadryl orally and then the gel ......This has got to be the worst reaction I've ever had because its still red and spread almost all the way around my arm about eight inches wide.The heat yesterday was almost unbearable.I'm no sissy when it comes to pain, but I'm starting to rethink sleeves in the Texas summers.....if not I may drop a Benadryl before each outing and carry the gel cream.I'm lucky the stuff doesn't make me sleepy like most folks.
  • May 31, 2013 2:23 PM PDT
    I got one in my riding gear with me last summer. You should have seen me on the side of the road trying to get that gear off. (and not drop the bike)
  • June 1, 2013 10:30 PM PDT
    I have done alot of fancy stunt riding after being stung by bees. We live in a Valley with miles if orange/lemon groves. I take benadryl and rub an ice pack on it when I get home. Out on the road a cold beer seems to help me.
  • June 2, 2013 12:45 PM PDT
    ok this is gona sound a bit crazy but... if you smoke or with someone that does. break one apart and wet the tobaco and put it on the sting for 5 /10 mins it drews the poison out. like i said it sounds crazy but it works great
  • June 6, 2013 3:22 AM PDT
    I normally use the chew I have, tape it on for about ten minutes
  • June 6, 2013 5:12 AM PDT
    sinfulsinz & dclemons are both correct. Tobacco will draw the poison out of the bite area. Just need to wet it pretty good and apply directly to the bite. I'm a retired Army medic/paramedic and I've found the old home remedies have always worked the best.
    • 1161 posts
    June 7, 2013 10:06 PM PDT
    I had one sting me last year right in the middle of my chest, and I was riding down the road beating my chest I bet I looked like a dumb a$$. Haha. Ya I use an old remedy or just pull put the stinger and keep going since I'm not allergic to them but other some other riders I ride with are.
  • June 8, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
    I could not help but think about this post. Twice I had a wasp behind the windshield with me. Of course it happened when I was meeting traffic. I held my breath hoping I would not get nailed. (Put on the cruise control then slap and knock until it leaves.
  • January 13, 2014 6:11 AM PST
    Just now reading this. Any drug store will carry bee sting meds, comes in a 5 pack, of capsuls which you break open and rub on the sting area after removing the stinger. Works quickly. I never ride without it. Cost about 5-6 bucks.