Riding gear

• 1855 posts
    May 12, 2013 1:47 AM PDT
    If you have a T-bag, what kind is it?  Does it work well for you?

The only riding jacket you take on trips?

Peace
    • 3006 posts
    May 12, 2013 3:59 AM PDT
    The only riding jacket I could take is my heavy leather one,it has a zip out gore tex liner for the really hot days.

I use small duffel/helmet sized bags to pack the extra carry on stuff,bungee them off to my saddle bags & the rear of my sissy bar.I find the higher I stack stuff on the rear, the less control I have at the handlebars steering wise.
    • 5419 posts
    May 12, 2013 1:12 PM PDT
    I have had the T-Bag brand expandable bag for over 10 years and it has worked great. It's about 20 inches high and 5 inches deep and expands to 10" deep. It also has backpack straps that work great when going into a hotel because I can throw it on my back and still carry other stuff. It also canme with a round bag that can go on top or be used alone on short trips.

For jacket I have my leather jacket that I have had forever. I always have my leather jacket with me... long trips, short trips, any trip!. It has a removable liner that I take out in summer and also has air vents so I can use it from slightly chilly to downright cold weather.
    • 79 posts
    May 12, 2013 3:54 PM PDT
    I have the same bags that lucky has.These bags are made for a medium sissy bar and i have a tall bar so i have to put a flat top 12 pack cooler under them to make them work but i always find a use for the cooler.As for a jacket i use the same leather year round.
    • 834 posts
    May 14, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
    I've got a leather bag that is 21" high and 8" deep. Works great except when it rains. When all the leather gets wet, plus the weight of the stuff in it, just about takes a fork lift to get the damn thing off the bike! I have got to get a T-Bag one day.

For jackets, out here you need two! I have a jean jacket for the summer and a leather for the winter.
    • 846 posts
    May 15, 2013 6:41 AM PDT
    I pack light and haven't needed a T-Bag yet.
    But the only jacket I bring on long trips is my leather jacket as it covers more temperatures then anything else. Plus I mink oil it to give a little water proofing to it although I do carry a rain suit also.
    • 1855 posts
    May 15, 2013 9:39 AM PDT
    The reason I ask is that our planned trip beginning next month will be taking us over and up into Wyoming, Montana, and then south thru Idaho, Utah, and Arizona; then points east back across the Mississippi.  I just don't know what to expect (weather-wise) but we certainly can't carry a full wardrobe of jackets riding two up and I will definitely NOT be pulling a trailer. I've made plenty of solo trips out west and probably (no doubt about it) endured more weather related misery than I needed to since I was young and didn't much give a  rat's ________s!  Hell, I don't feel old now but these old bones are, well, you get the picture.  Cold happens at a lot warmer temps these days than it use to.

Our t-bag is a Saddleman BR series and I'm not too concerned over how much it can hold.  It does a fine job. That and the saddlebags are good size on the Heritage.  But we DO have to consider the optimum outer wear for a trip that may see huge temperature swings.  I did come across what I think is the perfect jacket for our trip.   
    Anyway, here's the jacket I found from zeroXposur.  Sam's club had 'em marked down to thirty bucks.  And since I've become influenced a lot by Gypsy these days, I bought 'em just because of the price.  But I think they're going to work.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-ZeroXposur-3-in-1-Coat-Jacket-All-Season-Sz-L-Black-Grey-843309-New-NWT-/230966011378?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item35c6a5a5f2 />
    Peace
    • 5419 posts
    May 15, 2013 10:01 AM PDT
    Looks like it should be a great jacket for the many conditions you will be hitting. I know what you mean about cold coming at lower temps, I am starting to experience the same thing. I always wondered why "old people" wore sweaters in the summer... now I know :-)

Have a great trip!
  • May 15, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
    Looks good Jimmy. I have found that the new fabrics handle the weather as good if not better than god old leather, at half the weight.