'08 SPORTSTER FORK SEALS LEAKING

• April 12, 2013 8:10 AM PDT
    08 XL1200L

THIS BIKE HAS 45k MILES, ALWAYS GARAGED.
    IS 5 YRS/45,000 MI TYPICAL FOR FORK SEAL CHANGE?

IT MUST BE A MONDAY BIKE
    1. VALVE LIFTERS AT 25K 
    2. CLUTCH PLATES AT 35K
    3. REAR BEARING FAILURE AT 45K (WHEEL WAS RUINED $450)

WHAT'S NEXT?

• 19046 posts
    April 12, 2013 1:00 PM PDT
    Looking at all your troubles that does sound early. Especially if the fork oil was serviced regularly. Are you the only owner? And how hard do you ride?
  • April 14, 2013 7:43 PM PDT
    Sounds to me like your riding a bike that is overloaded. How long do your tires and brakes last. Does your teenage son have keys to your bike?
    • 5420 posts
    April 15, 2013 1:29 PM PDT
    Yeah, that does sound really early for the fork seals and all the other stuff too. I know my Road King is not a sporty, but I have had over 100k on my last two bikes and never did any of the work you mentioned except for the fork seals and that was at just over 100k.

Like Terry asked, do you ride real hard or really loaded down?
  • April 16, 2013 2:25 PM PDT
    I am the original owner. Not not sure how you'd define "riding hard". Mix of highway and "around town" riding. I cross 1/4 mile of unpaved (but very smooth) turf road leaving my house before I get to pavement. This was my 1st bike after getting my indorsement at age 50. At approx 3400 miles I was "rear-ended" by a Honda Civic. Car was going 55 mph, I was doing approx 25 mph. The insurance adjuster & dealer (where I also purchased the bike NEW) said COSMETIC damage ONLY. (Rear fender was badly mangled--we left approx 60 feet of skid marks on the road--I was in about 2nd gear when hit.)  Maybe that impact really did MORE than just cosmetic damage....35K-45K mileage my older brother rode the bike--unknown.

• April 16, 2013 2:38 PM PDT
    By the way, my rear tires are lasting 12-14K miles & I' ve had the rear brake pads replaced once at 40k miles--front brake pads are still original.
    (I use cooordinated front & rear braking always.)

I weigh 190 lbs & never ride with a passenger...

Guess it's possible, but ...really don't think it is my "riding style"...

This bike left me standed in a parking lot the first week I owned it due to a corroded battery post. YES, JUST ONE WEEK after I picked it up new from the dealer.... I THINKS ITS JUST A "MONDAY LEMON"...you decide...
    • 2 posts
    April 22, 2013 5:35 PM PDT
    There is no doubt that the accident could very well be the source of your problem. Impact to the bike can cause bushings to become warped,cracked or broken which will in turn damage the seals. If the bushings are not replaced you will have the same issue. It could also cause the tubes to be bent which will also affect the the seals even if it's not enough to affect performance.

If I were you I would rebuild both front forks.
  • April 22, 2013 11:26 PM PDT
    Have you ever tied it down on a trailer?...You can tie them down to tight and blow the fork seals...been there and done that. I've got some 2x6's I've screwed together and slip under the frame whenever I tie my bikes down. That puts the load on the frame and not the forks.