Boston Ma. Hotels/Motels??????

• March 27, 2013 5:07 PM PDT
    I'm planning in taking a solo cross country trip from Seattle area to NYC then up to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick then back across Canada to B.C   and home. The only problem area is Boston Ma, the rates for hotels/motels are #$$%%  high. Anyone know of a budget place to bed down for 1 or 2 nights?  I checked out some hostels but a secured parking might be a problem there. Any help would be grateful
  • March 28, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
    Have you considered bike camping as an alternative to staying in cheap hotels. The cost savings are substantial and besides you meet the neatest people in campgrounds that cater to bikers.
    • 1855 posts
    March 28, 2013 8:09 AM PDT
    Are you going to Boston for any particular reason? Hell, are you going to NYC for any particular reason. I'd avoid that place like the plague. I mean, you could always go around the place. Perhaps if we had a bit more info on your route we could help. It's a big place. I have a couple of friends who live in Boston; all their lives. I once rolled into (north of) Boston on a nice mountain road with a pretty cool motel in beautiful valley. I had made my way to Troy, N.Y. (ride straight thru that nasty place) which is on the borders of NW Mass and Southwest Vermont and I picked up route 2. It runs along the northern border of Massachusetts and angles down to Boston. Rte 2 connects with Rte 128 and I-95 just above Waltham, a NW Boston burb.

Peace

• 1 posts
    March 28, 2013 10:49 AM PDT
    We are planning a NE trip at the end of summer and I found this place just outside of Boston. I couldn't find a place within my budget in Boston and traffic there is bad and don't really want to ride into the city. So, we decided to take public transportation into Boston. Below is a motel website check it out and if you decide to stay there; let me know how it went.

http://bedfordmotel.net/

• 5420 posts
    March 28, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
    Ah, don't listen to Jimmy on NYC, he just don't like any big cities :-) But its all a matter of what you like. To us NYC is one of the greatest places and if you haven't been there you will find lots to do and see. We go go there almost every year for at least 4 to 5 days and have a great time every time. As for inexpensive places in NYC... forgetta bout it. Unless you get really lucky with a deal on hotels.com or one of those places, it is going to cost a lot to stay in the city. As for Boston, yep hotels are outrageous! Anytime I go up that way I normally stay outside the city. Last time I was there I stayed in the Comfort Inn in Rockland - about 25 miles south of the city and it still cost me $150 a night.
  • March 28, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
    Thanks Steven, that seems a little bit closer to my budget for my duration on the road. The only other one I came close to was the Tall ship cabin. The price wasn't too bad but parking the bike in the open what also concerned me. The motel at least has a parking spot and I don't mind using public transportation as I'm going to sight see as much as I can on foot.
  • March 28, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
    NYC actually rocks as I've sent many single friends ( even women) which didn't want to come back from NYC. It is a city that never sleeps and they loved it. I just told them where to avoid and what to see.
    At least in NYC I will be staying with my sister so no hotel fees unless she gets tired of me a charges me triple so that I would leave. After NYC then its Boston followed by the rest of the east coast states. This includes Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario,Quebec,Manatoba,Sasketchewan,,Alberta, British Columbia and alas back home just south of Seattle.
    • 5420 posts
    March 28, 2013 12:23 PM PDT
    Yeah, but they closed down the best inner city biker bar anywhere - Redrock West - a few years back. We used hang out there a lot during our trips! But you still got Hogs n Heffers when you want to go dive bar :-)
    • 1855 posts
    March 28, 2013 2:48 PM PDT
    Yer right Lucky. I don't like any big city when it comes to riding through. That's what I thought he was doing, just riding through. My sister happens to be in NYC right now too. She goes there a few times a year. For a party place it's a great place. There is lots to do. But if it was just a matter of riding, I wouldn't go near the place.
  • March 28, 2013 3:08 PM PDT
    Im only staying a week and bikes going to be parked. I haven't seen her in 3 years so its it gave me a good excuse for being there. Other than that Boston will be the only other large city I'll stay in. Gotta due the tourist thing yano. After that I just want to ride through the country roads and see as much as I can see.. L
    earn the local cusine,culture,history and the what nots
    • 846 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
     Living 30 miles north I Boston I would say Stevens suggestion was a good one. I would say anything out side of the 128 beltway and you would see a drop in prices. Bedford is a nice area and you can motor down to Concord bridge with the bike. There's some nice back roads in the area that are bike friendly (or as friendly as Mass. gets). Boston is a good walking city (not a great bike city) and with the T there's not a area of the city you can't get to in a few minutes. If you use the T get a subway map http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/ and you should be set.  Good luck.
  • March 29, 2013 6:52 AM PDT
    Thanks Chaz, I took all in consideration in the replies. I don't like riding into a big city if I can avoid it. It seems like you and Steven concurred about the Bedford area. By all means I'll use the public transportation to get downtown Boston. I have heard its a great walkabout city from many and that was one of the reasons I want to make at least 1 overnight stop.