91 Electraglide made of junk metal

• March 26, 2013 7:44 AM PDT
     I have a 91 Electraglide and it started blowing head gaskets. Each time I took it apart the bolts on the right side of the engine seemed like they were loose. Found out the studs were pulling out of the crankcase. Then I found that several years of HDs made their part out of really crummy metal. So now I start taking the thing apart and find I need some special tools that HD doesn't sell. Found the tool for removing the clutch. The crankcase is going to run around $900.00.  It's just messed up that HD doesn't warranty the junk they put out. Anyone got any ideas on a less expensive way to repair this?
  • March 26, 2013 10:00 AM PDT
    Just curious are you using loctite and a quality torque wrench when you assemble your heads? I had several bikes from that era and other than throwing me off a few times I never had or heard of crummy metal. Is the lower end corroded? Double nut the studs and pull them out, run the threads with a tap to make sure their clean and not corroded, then you can assemble the bike knowing the studs have been properly torqued and loctite was used to prevent them from backing out. Good luck
  • March 26, 2013 11:34 AM PDT
    printerdoc wrote...
     I have a 91 Electraglide and it started blowing head gaskets. Each time I took it apart the bolts on the right side of the engine seemed like they were loose. Found out the studs were pulling out of the crankcase. Then I found that several years of HDs made their part out of really crummy metal. So now I start taking the thing apart and find I need some special tools that HD doesn't sell. Found the tool for removing the clutch. The crankcase is going to run around $900.00.  It's just messed up that HD doesn't warranty the junk they put out. Anyone got any ideas on a less expensive way to repair this?

Did you buy the extended warranty? Just curious

• 5420 posts
    March 26, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
    I agree with Terry (wheels). If the case is not corroded or cracked and the threads are not stripped I would think loctite and proper torque would keep them from loosening. Do the threads feel like they are stripped... is there play in the threads.

Never heard of anyone having to replace a case because of the quality of metal and I have lots of friends with early 90s scoots.
    • 9 posts
    March 27, 2013 1:16 AM PDT
    It sounds like you've got a fractured crankcase. Specially if this keeps happening. And...it also sounds like you may be overtightening the bolts, to over compensate, thus causing further problem. Full agreement on both Terry and Lucky on this whole issue. I had two nineties era bikes, and never had these issue's myself. And make sure you're using a quality head gasket sealer. Don't scrimp, or that could come back to bite ya in the ass.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 834 posts
    March 27, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
    printerdoc wrote...

Don't know a whole lot of companies whoes warrenty lasts 12+ year and probably over 100,000 miles.  did you have this problem while the bike was still under warranty?