Poker Run for Non Profit

• March 20, 2013 5:37 PM PDT
    Hey Riders!

I read some posts re: holding a Poker Run fundraiser and we are interested in doing this event. Some of my questions 1. How long of a ride should the stops be from one location to the next? How do you plan a good route (main roads or off the beaten path)? Do you have to have insurance if you are a business holding the event? Do you charge the same price for a second entry and how does that work?

Thanks.

Deb

• March 21, 2013 12:23 AM PDT
    Where I live, stops are anywhere from 15 miles to 45 miles apart. Make it an all day affair, no rushing thru the ride. There are several I won't participate in again if I have to "race" to be done in the slotted time. Riding is an enjoyment to me, I can ride any time or place. Not pay to be rushed thru a poker run.
    • 19049 posts
    March 21, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
    This is how I have done it in the past...
    Five stops/check points maybe 150 to 200 miles. Try to divide them evenly.

Make all stops as safe to get in and out of as possible.

Ride the course yourself to get a feel WAY before you even put anything on paper.

I prefer scenic routes with modest speeds and GOOD roads. Highways are to be avoided except in very short runs.

Insurance??? Hell Yes, Especially if it is a business. Best to coordinate with your local riding clubs to avoid overlapping events. They might also be able to help with insurance (AMA).

Fees are based on rider and passenger. IE $20 for rider & $15 for passenger.

As close as possible to the event date ride the planned course to verify road conditions, construction area detours etc.

This topic could be a book with all the things to do and not do. I suggest you talk with some riders near you in person who have set a run in your area.

Best of luck to you.

• March 21, 2013 5:09 AM PDT
    Check with your local clubs on which type of poker run works best for your area. No one wants to ride 200 miles with only ten other participants, and vise versa. It sucks to be overwhelmed and no place to park because there are 300 riders on a 50 mile course. If at all possible start and stop the poker run at the local Harley dealeship because it will always attract more riders to your rally. Good Luck