Mt Panorama.

• 1 posts
    February 20, 2013 11:54 AM PST
    while it can be said motor racing is a great sport, there are certain types that just don't cut it. Like who would wanna drive a left turn in a circle for 500 miles or laps...Mt Panorma in Bathurst NSW, Australia is a street circuit that V8 supercars as they are called, race a few times a year.

Last weekend I had the pleasure once more to drive the street circuit...

Saturday 8am leaving the sunny Illawarra where i live, and heading up the infamous Macquarie Pass, our own Tail of the dragon...I haven't a clue how many turns, there's lots...I couldn't even tell you how far it is cause that varies , depending on who you talk too. There's no motel near it...just a pie shop. No t shirts to add to your collection either..just a good piece of blacktop to spin on..We hit the Hume Freeway sometime after 9.am and zoomed south to Goulburn..70 mph all the way..or 110km/h..if you are metrically minded. Fuelled at Goulburn, then took the Taralgon road ...heading towards Oberon. This is Australia at its finest...its blacktop and ruff as guts..but its sealed all the way unless you run off the road hit a wildlife object..or a huge pot hole...then chances are something bad is going to happen.
    Stopped at O'Farrell hotel for lunch, a hotel down under is a bar with a kitchen and accoms upstairs...there is about 2 hotel for every person in Australia..so you never seem to be short of them...

About the time I was tucking into my beer..and burger the cops showed up and set up a booze bus 150 yards down the street the way we were going...looks like we are staying...luckily the cops didn't hang around they bought a latte and left...( a booze bus is where you get tested for drink driving).

Bathurst is 20 miles further on... through town find the hotel we are staying at then straight up the same street to the track...a quick lap..some pics...and back down the bottom...halfway down I came across the local HP officer staring daggers at me...I saw him before he saw me..I washed off heaps of speed and slunk by under the speed limit by 20 km/h....yeah he knew and so did I...all in all it was great weekend...and a nice steady ride home the next day with 3 others while the pack slammed home the way we came..
    • 19007 posts
    February 20, 2013 10:07 PM PST
    AWesome!
  • February 21, 2013 12:23 AM PST
    Sounds like a sweet ride.:-)
    • 1 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:26 AM PST
    the middle pic shows where i took the 2 pics of the bikes going down. just shows how high up the mountain you are.
  • February 21, 2013 12:09 PM PST
    Watched some of those races here on TV - nice Track - awesome ride
    • 0 posts
    February 27, 2013 9:27 AM PST
    Ya dont realise how bloody steep it is til ya there...Those blokes racing there are friggin nuts