2013 International Motorcycle Show Chicago - some pics

• February 10, 2013 4:45 AM PST
     For those of you who could not make it - here are some custom bikes from the show
  • February 10, 2013 6:48 AM PST
    That must have been a great show. Love the bikes.
  • February 10, 2013 7:14 AM PST
    Yeah, coming to Charlotte in two weeks. Hope to make this one. Missed the Easyride show last month because of ice. Hope it's nice for this one!
    • 1855 posts
    February 10, 2013 8:32 AM PST
    I really enjoy the older bikes; Panheads, Shovelheads, 45's, etc. But I gotta say, some man's customized motorcycle is another man's ugly bike. Oh the skill level is admirable. The thought process of design is a gift. But still..........I never was into radical bike building. For one, back in the day they had no guts and didn't even run. Don't know how true that is today though. Still, the bike shows are great places to go for us hampered by nasty weather. We just go and dream of warmth and the open road.

Peace
  • February 10, 2013 9:24 AM PST
    Yeah a lot of them look cool, but no clue on how useful they are, but the craftsmanship is still a nice thing to see
    • 2 posts
    February 10, 2013 9:35 AM PST
    Some real quality work there and a couple of really sweet looking rides but sadly the only rides you could strap me on with a hammerlock are older than I am (OLD)
    What were people thinking when they created most of these, they don't even look safe, much less comfortable?

A couple of afterthoughts:
    1. What is happening with the ride with 5 pipes?
    2. Ladies, nothing I like look at much more than a yard of thigh & heels really show off your legs but if you are getting on a motorcycle please put on some substantial shoes. - I will still check you out, promise.
  • February 10, 2013 10:35 AM PST
    I think the 5 pipes are there for eye appeal just like the ladie.....
    • 16852 posts
    February 10, 2013 3:32 PM PST
    I'm happy to see innovation and craftsmanship back now that the clone-customs are fading away.
    I have no idea how the "International Motorcycle Show" runs their ship, but back when I was hitting the ISCA circuit everything had to work and run, but any builder with an ounce of pride should have that covered.
  • February 10, 2013 6:54 PM PST
    Can somebody please build a custom bike that you can actually ride into another state and beyond. Can you imagine trying to pack up that orange piece of ART and riding it 700 miles to a rally lol. Their not bikes if they don't carry at least 3.5 galons of fuel, their ART in my humble opinion.
    • 16852 posts
    February 11, 2013 4:21 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    Can somebody please build a custom bike that you can actually ride into another state and beyond.

I'm still at a loss on how some of the mass produced "custons" pass PA inspection.
    I've mesured "rake" & "trail on a few brands and they are not compliant, but have current inspection stickers.
    But a home builder doing the same can't get a title here.

• 3006 posts
    February 11, 2013 4:59 AM PST
    Great post, thanks for sharing the pics are excellent !
    My only gripe,like others,where is the ridability of these bikes.
    One design flaw(orange cstm) for me was why put the speakers facing up?

those concerns aside.I love the creative factor that goes into building these
    machines.Eventually some of these concepts make their way into the mainstream.

True eye candy,kudos to the builders for having the guts to try n shape a dream bike!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 11, 2013 7:21 AM PST
    Great pictures. I go to LOTS of bikes shows, big and small and really never saw a bike for ME. But I do go to see all the bikes and really appreciate the skill that goes into creativity, planning and craftsmanship. Don't really care if you can ride them or not. To me it is no different than admiring anyone's artwork, but I would much rather enjoy the art using a motorcycle as the medium than clay or canvas.  However I would ride that black touring bike if it had a real front tire!

I do really enjoy ride-in bike shows too, that is a whole different class and I love to see what guys build to ride!
    • 2 posts
    February 11, 2013 8:05 AM PST
    Technical question directed to anybody who can answer:
    Lucky picked up on it - What is the purpose of the tires with almost no profile? Think about 3 of the above motorcycles had them; see them on rice-rockets too.
    Just don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. Less flex, less heat generation??? Less moment of inertia, quicker acceleration???
    • 16852 posts
    February 11, 2013 3:00 PM PST
    It all started on cars to cheat on the "scrub line" laws.

The scrub line is often used to show the lowest position for any component on a motor vehicle. The scrub line is an imaginary line drawn on a vehicle to make sure no component is assembled or placed below this line.