Looking for affordable speakers for an Ultra Classic

• January 26, 2013 11:47 AM PST
    I am looking for good sounding / affordable speakers for an Ultra Classic gove compartment area.  I priced the Hog Tunes along with the amplifier and have been reading reviews but they are a little out of my price range and I don't need the speakers in the fairing.

Any suggestions?

RaceAngel
  • January 26, 2013 6:18 PM PST
    If you get a halfway decent speaker from Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Pyle, it will run you about $50 to $100. Check ebay or craigslist but stay away from no-brand speakers, make sure you know what wattage your amplifier puts out per channel and match the speakers to it, speaker should be able to handle more then the amp puts out, make sure you match the Ohms of the system so if it is 2 ohm's get 2 Ohm speakers, 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm etc. if you have a 4 Ohm system make sure it can handle a 2 ohm speaker if you get some - then look for inexpensive speaker of the same size - also make sure you know how deep the compartment is so you don't get speakers with a larger magnet on it and they wont fit. The speakers you looked at are made so they fit - everything above will general standard mounts but you will need to know the details and look for them. check out "rock the boat audio" "HIFIsoundconnection.com""JC Whitney""Crutchfield""SonicElectronix"'Amazon" or "Overstock.com" besides ebay and CL just buyer be ware
    • 719 posts
    January 26, 2013 11:11 PM PST
    make sure they are marina grade speakers if u get regular speakers as soon as they get wet they're junk
    • 1 posts
    January 27, 2013 11:56 AM PST
    I like J&M speakers... I have the 7.25' in my fairing and with the sub and tweeter I did not need to upgrade any thing else. I think it was about 300 for the pair but the better half bought them for me as a present. J& M back up their speakers and when Wooly blew his in the 03 they did replace for free as it was the orginal owner in the original bike they was installed in. We have a small problem with selling bikes so we look for value over a long period of time. Hope this helps
    • 16822 posts
    January 27, 2013 2:41 PM PST
    I liked the speakers that came with my Ultra, then again it was the only Harley I had with any, I was thrilled to have them. :-)
    • 2 posts
    January 28, 2013 6:40 AM PST
    Ug, Hogtunes. Well, I wouldn't recommend them. Even though they are cheaper than other "plug 'n play" systems, they are way overpriced for what they are. I you thinking of spending the money on those I would reach a little deeper and go with the J&M or Hogwired brands.

I'd say your best bet to save money and get some good speakers is to go the route petrusrock suggested and get some quality marine speakers. They will be cheaper than the "piug 'n play" and if you are simply changing speakers, there is very little wiring. Just make sure the impedance and wattage requirements are compatible with the oem system.
  • January 28, 2013 12:41 PM PST
    Thank you for your suggestions.