Careful Out There Lads & Lassies

• 2 posts
    November 11, 2012 11:20 AM PST
    Sometimes there are no good guys and no bad guys. - Not cell phonees, not DWI - Just chaos.
    Stay alert & AGAT - It's up to you

ACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

State troopers, firefighters and paramedics say at least six people were hurt -- four seriously -- when nine motorcycles, a car and two tractor-trailers were involved in a chain-reaction crash on Interstate 95 at midday Saturday.

Investigators said  there was an initial crash involving three motorcycles participating in a group ride.  When a Hyundai showed to a stop to avoid hitting that crash, one motorcycle rear-ended the car, ejecting its rider, and another motorcycle hit that bike.

When two tractor-trailers then came to a stop to avoid the pile-up ahead, a motorcycle hit the second of the big rigs and another motorcyclist lost control of his bike and was ejected.

Troopers say two other motorcyclists crashed behind the stopped tractor-trailers, and they were still investigating how that accident occurred.

Members of the Ruff Ryders Motorcycle Club said about 150 motorcycles were participating in a memorial ride for one of their members, Ernest "Phantom" Jones, who died in a car crash last week.
    "Cars were coming in at that I-95 and Bowden Road exit," said Romaro. "They were coming over that hill they probably didn't see the motorcycles until it was too late."
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/9-motorcycles-in-chain-reaction-crash-on-I-95/-/475880/17356602/-/1549q0k/-/index.html />

It's up to you lads & lassies - Accept that your ride can kill you then bullet proof yourself as best you can.
    "Head on a swivel" as my son's lacrosse coach used to say.

• 19046 posts
    November 12, 2012 12:05 AM PST
    Crap can happen no matter how careful we are. But serious defensive riding will eliminate most hazards. I personally believe we as riders are in control of 99.9% of them.
    • 1 posts
    November 12, 2012 1:20 AM PST
    I've ridden 95....the pace that people do is electrifying....and the cops just sit and watch...
  • November 13, 2012 3:30 AM PST
    I have sworn off riding in large groups anymore. I just don't feel comfortable riding anymore with a large pack of bikes.It's so much more enjoyable to ride with people who I know their tendancies and what their gonna do if something comes at us quickly.
    • 19046 posts
    November 13, 2012 5:42 AM PST
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    I've ridden 95....the pace that people do is electrifying....and the cops just sit and watch...

Yeah Jonesy, I95 is a road to avoid even in a cage. Super dangerouse at least from D.C. to Maine.

• 3006 posts
    November 13, 2012 7:04 AM PST
    Group riding is hazardous at best and downrite deadly at its worst. Typically what I find happening is riders being too staggered or not using enuff of it to maintain proper braking distances.The last group ride I did was haphazard at best,yet better run then some others I have been on.Often the guy in front of you is heavy on the brake n gas,why is a result of the guy in front of him driving likewise.Some accidents cannot be avoided n wearing a good helmet helps yet I have seen where even the best helmet or armor could not have stopped massive internal injurys.
    Riding w/out lots of gear makes a rider appreciate all the better the illusion of safety while riding,there isnt any..no amount of gear n hardware can stop the inevitable at times.
    Prayers for a speedy recovery to all involved !