Shovelhead

• 1855 posts
    October 9, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
    Here's the story. Last year a bro came across a 1974 shovelhead, complete but not together. Supposedly motor had been reworked. The bike just needed to be put together. The dude wanted 2 grand for it so I loaned my bro 2 grand.

He wanted to make it a bobber, which he has done. After getting it fired up it needs a bit more work; tranny work to be sure and it leaks lots of oil. Gaskets sitting over time does that. Anyway, he gave me the last of what he owed me and said he couldn't afford to finish the bike.

The deal. He said, "I'll just give you the bike, you pay for the repairs needed, I get to do the work and no labor charges". So basically he's got 2 grand invested already. I'm thinkin' to myself, "Yeah, I'll take the bike". But I'm also thinking  my bro "knows shovelheads inside and out and he's the dude you'd have work on 'em" if ya needed to. But, I'll probably die of old age before any work gets done. No!!! I don't get the bike unless he's able to do the work. He just loves to tinker and that's what he wants to do, tinker.  He's had his own '74 forever and that's his only motorcycle. 

I'm up in the air about this offer of his. I have no doubt about his skills but once he's done, I'm taking the bike and that could just play hard on our friendship. Hell, I had no problem loaning him the money in the first place. I knew he'd eventually pay it back but in reality, I don't loan money unless I have it to lose and if by some chance or misfortune on his part that he couldn't have paid me back, it really wouldn't have strained our friendship on my part. It's just a thing.

I'm not sure how much more money it will take to get this bike up and running. I know I'm lookin' at a grand on the tranny, maybe more. Any thoughts? I mean I'd rather do the work on it myself but that won't be part of the deal.

Peace
    • 1855 posts
    October 10, 2012 2:12 AM PDT
    I guess I need to explain what a shovelhead is? No opinions? No helping a fellow cf'er make a decision?

Peace
    • 1 posts
    October 10, 2012 2:31 AM PDT
    I still have two shovels in the collection.... One of them is tore down and on the lift, doing a total restore... Over 300,000 miles on it. Other one was my frist loved bike... NOt first bike frist loved bike... Lots of people hate the old Shovels and by design there was and is some enginering flaws... Exhast to name just one.
    As far as investment and money returned, shovelheads sells have always and will always be flat. So if it is a retuen on investment I would not do it as you will never get any/must money back if you are looking to sell.
    That being said if you and or friend is looking for a fun bike to keep tinkering with and playing with... Well I love my old Shovels but I am not right in the head and have been told that more then once.
  • October 10, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    I dont like to mix business with family. On one end you get a good deal on a shovel and on the other end you have to adhere to your brothers demands..... Thats a hard one.
    Have you made stipulations yourself to him? Say that you will back up the project financially but he also will have a timeframe to have the work completed...
    Co workers, friends and family are always very hard to deal with because like you said you dont want to hinder the relationship....
    • 1855 posts
    October 10, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
    Thanks guys. I've ridden shovels most of my riding years. I still have one. I love 'em. Flaws? They're only flaws if ya can't fix 'em. Also, my bro is NOT a relative, he's a friend. I'm gonna give him a talkin' to and see what comes next. I may just loan him more money to continue the work. But I'm thinkin' his OL doesn't want him putting more money into the bike...borrowed or otherwise.

Thanks again
    Peace
    • 1 posts
    October 11, 2012 4:57 AM PDT
    Tell it has the talk comes out as I love to read and hear about rebuilds... As far as me not being right in the head... I have always told the better half any and all money spent on our bikes is the best spent money in my book. ;D
    • 1 posts
    October 15, 2012 11:45 AM PDT
    seems he paid you back for the first 2k...and it seems to me that your have the spare loot to fix up the rest of the problems..sounds like he'll honor the debt...so in reality he can tell his ol lady its your bike and your money..right up till the time he takes it back...and it is his free n clear...and his ol lady is non the wiser till she finds out she was duped...then you can sit back and enjoy him sqirming under the pressure his old lady gives him....sound win win to me.
    • 44 posts
    October 15, 2012 12:28 PM PDT

nothing like a shovelhead

• October 15, 2012 5:44 PM PDT
    It's your call, but I'd let him keep the bike, fix it, and sell it and pay you back, or keep it and pay you. Friendship gets complicated huh?