Just Wondering?

• September 5, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
    I am just wondering if any of the members here that live in my area have ever dealt with Huds Valley Cycles in Kingston NY?
    I usually do my own work but I picked up a bike for my son who turned 16 on 8/1 and it was running rough and didn't have time to tinker with it, So I sent it to them for repair. After a week got it home and it wouldn't idle, So I sent it back and it's been over a week and they still haven't finished it and everytime I call I am told: " We will call when it is finished" and I already paid over $740.00 for the first visit which was for the same thing. In the mjeantime my son is going stir crazy wanting to ride and it is still there!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! LOL.
    • 7 posts
    September 5, 2012 7:08 AM PDT
    It is so very hard to find a good, trust-worthy mechanic. When you do find one, keep in their good graces and pray they don't retire :-)
  • September 5, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
    I know it's too late now but maybe a service manual and a key to your tool box will help your son become proficient at working on the bikes he will be riding. They have to start somewhere. Good luck with your sons bike.
    • 3006 posts
    September 6, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    I agree Wheels,thats how I got my start. If your son really wants to ride,he is going to have to learn how and why the bike stays running right or not. If he is fortunate he may already have some friends around who can help git the bike in running order the next time it fails after it comes back from the shop.
    Its a bummer the shop has screwed you on this,hopefully they will make it right.
    • 5419 posts
    September 6, 2012 8:13 AM PDT
    Anytime I DO have to bring my bike for service I always try to get a recommendation from someone on a shop they were happy with.
    • 567 posts
    September 6, 2012 1:15 PM PDT
    Seems to me that you might wanna go to Yelp.com and post something about your experience with HVC.
    • 1855 posts
    September 7, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    I know it's too late now but maybe a service manual and a key to your tool box will help your son become proficient at working on the bikes he will be riding. They have to start somewhere. Good luck with your sons bike.

I gotta concur with wheels..............have the kid give it a try.

Peace

• 2 posts
    September 7, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
    Look a forum specific to the ride in question - Make/Model - Post your questions there - Don't have time to search for one but put Make/Model/Year here & if I get time I will try to help
    Pray it isn't a Harley There are about 7 million forums out there - Most pretty useless when it comes to wrenching or trashing an authorized shop
    • 12 posts
    September 16, 2012 12:18 PM PDT
    that's just unacceptable. I work for a dealership. if a bike comes back that we worked on, it get's worked on first, and made right. it should have never left the shop if it had the same problem. sloppy work
    • 9 posts
    September 16, 2012 11:30 PM PDT

I think I'd be havin' a SERIOUS talk with the owner/manager.  Ain't no way in hades, I'mma gonna let somethin' this important, get screwed up!
    If, they're doin' shoddy work, can you really trust the bike for your son?  I'd demand some satisfaction here, one way or the other...

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • September 22, 2012 12:49 AM PDT
    Update I brought it home finally and it was serviced by their senior tech. Turns out PO put in a jet kit with a stock exhaust and the newer tech was trying to adjust a/f screws to stock, hence rough idle and stalling. Going to find a set of stock carbs and rebuild them myself. Thanks for all of the replies. JIM