AMA alert. EPA mandates purchase of E-15 fuel

• 130 posts
    August 7, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
    http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=61632086 />
    [edited to make url work in all browsers]
    • 5420 posts
    August 7, 2012 10:05 AM PDT
    Thanks Mike. Great info. I am going to repost this in our Biker News Blog!!!
    • 2 posts
    August 7, 2012 11:52 AM PDT
    Yeh sure, not like corn could be used for anything else

p.s.: For as long as Iowa remains a primary state E-15 is here to stay until somebody invents E-20
  • August 7, 2012 1:29 PM PDT
    I heard where the corn crop in the south had a rough year, which means that food prices will increase (feeding out cattle etc.) and they want to take more corn and use to mess up my bike?
  • August 7, 2012 2:11 PM PDT
    LCStrat wrote...
    I heard where the corn crop in the south had a rough year, which means that food prices will increase (feeding out cattle etc.) and they want to take more corn and use to mess up my bike?

Yeah, that's an interesting ethical question.  Use corn to produce food, or to make fuel for this:

• 5420 posts
    August 7, 2012 3:34 PM PDT
    Actually in for coming years the farmers are loving this because they can increase the supply increasing jobs and making back some of the money they lost this year from the increased production. They also said this may be their only chance to salvage this years crop since the drought damage corn not good enough to go to the food market can be used in ethanol production.

And even though I think that is great for the farmers!!!! I still think this needs to be an option, not a mandate. There are enough energy conscious people in this country who have vehicles that run fine on E15 that would use the optional pumps!
    • 1855 posts
    August 8, 2012 12:55 AM PDT
    Ethanol is a stupid solution. The most obvious reason why is the way it has to be transported; by truck.

Peace
    • 19046 posts
    August 8, 2012 2:18 AM PDT
    Well that just Sucks!
    • 544 posts
    August 8, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
    Send Congress a message! Pour the E15 on the ground, light it and ride!
    • 2 posts
    August 10, 2012 3:07 AM PDT

Great news! Ethanol plant reopens in midst of massive drought

Despite raging concerns about the effect the worst drought of 50 years on the corn harvest, the former Bionol ethanol plant in Pennsylvania is back up and running after being purchased by Zeeland Farm Services (ZFS). Production began last month at the now named Pennsylvania Grain Processing LLC and is producing ethanol, dry distiller’s grains and other products.

On the surface this probably sounds like madness in terms of a marketing plan, right? I mean, ethanol isn’t even profitable on the free market when corn is plentiful. With prices rising, you’d have to be crazy to reopen a plant at a time like this, wouldn’t you? Yes… 
    crazy like a fox

But hey! It brought back dozens of jobs in an election year! You can’t just turn around and shut it down just because people are running out of food. The fact is, Washington has created a false market for corn-based ethanol no matter how high the price goes. The taxpayer dollars will keep on flowing, so there will always be somebody there to vacuum them up.

We’re still burning our seed corn. Literally. But don’t expect to see an about face from the White House on this one with only a couple of months until the election.
    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/10/great-news-ethanol-plant-reopens-in-midst-of-massive-drought/

• 2 posts
    August 10, 2012 3:19 AM PDT
    Might or might not be true, only found it here
    http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/08/09/next-from-the-epa-four-gallon-minimum-gas-purchases/ style="font-size: small; "> 
    Perhaps Rev. Jon can shed further light.

The Environmental Protection Agency is going to require all consumers to buy at least four gallons of gasoline from certain gas pumps after the new E15 ethanol-gasoline blend is introduced into the market.

The new regulation was revealed in an Aug. 1 letter to the American Motorcyclist Association, which expressed concern that the vast majority of motorcycles and ATVs in use today aren’t designed to operate on E15 fuel and residual fuel from a pump that serves multiple blends might harm these tanks.

“The use of E15 will lower fuel efficiency and possibly cause premature engine failure,” Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations, wrote in a June 20 letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. “Use of E15 fuel voids many manufacturer warranties. In off-road engines, the effects can even be dangerous for users.”

The EPA responded that it requires that retail stations with blender pumps either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing greater than 10 percent ethanol.

This minimum mandate attempts to dilute residual amounts of E15 that will be left in the shared hose

A government large enough to give you everything is powerful enough to force you to buy what it wants you to