The year of the liquid cooled big twin?

• 2 posts
    November 7, 2013 4:30 PM PST
    Two new models using variations of the Revolution engine

thekneeslider.com/harley-davidson-liquid-cooled-street-750-and-street-500/
    • 846 posts
    November 8, 2013 6:10 AM PST
    Now you can add the new 500 & 750 to the water cooled list.
    • 1855 posts
    November 9, 2013 2:40 AM PST
    To reiterate my thoughts; so-called improvements to HD motorcycles is simply another way to cost the consumer more. A good many "improvements" are quite simply redundant.  But I do see the sense in the liquid cooling of the heads. Sitting on a blast furnace when riding in a blast furnace environment is pretty uncomfortable.
           I do agree with Coley when it comes to oil.  While synthetic lubricants may offer some advantages, present day (newbie) Harley owners aren't going to be told of any disadvantages such as bearing skate or seal swell when using synthetics.   I also believe that switching to synthetics after years of fossil or mineral lubricant use has significant draw backs.  While I don't absolutely know this to be true, if synthetics seal swell characteristics change as synthetic properties improve (supposedly) it's impossible to know what affect this is going to have on your engine; bearings, seals, etc.
          O.K. this may sound like I'm contradictive but synthetics in a brand new Harley would seem to be the best way to go (in the engine).  If nothing else, synthetics cut down on heat caused by friction and is not a great producer of sludge and pollution.  
        But let's talk about the primary (indulge me please).  The oil for your clutch should be conventional because your clutch does need some friction to operate and synthetic oil is just too slippery. Does that make any sense?  Like I said, I don't absolutely know anything, but I use synthetic in my engine and conventional in my primary.  And, regardless of the claim that you don't have to change oil as often when using synthetic, adverse deposits in the engine are still adverse deposits so I change oil every 2,000 miles if possible.  That could be just out of habit but I'm more inclined to believe it's simply that I'm a preventative maintenance sort (whether it's a waste of time or not).  
        Andy BTW, if I were in my early 20's, lived in the city, and riding solo I'd rush to get that new 750.

Peace (sorry for hijacking the thread)
    • 3006 posts
    November 11, 2013 8:53 AM PST
    Good post,I am not surprised that harley is going more mainstream,its a sign of the times really.

I am not familiar personally with the different harley designed motors,yet at some point even my untrained eye could see the advantages of having water cooled heads over oil cooled heads.My Honda has a wet clutch and frequent oil changes are recommended irregardless of the oil used.

Just checked out the two new scoots the Street500 & 750, I really like them.They look like they are priced right for a hard fought market,and design wise look very capable for tight city riding.I wonder what sort of HP & torque the motors would make.Also they should rack up decent figures for mpg.

All in all Harley is stepping up to the plate,they may just be seeing Victory n Indian heating up the big twin marketplace race & for us consumers its a win win all around