Yamaha VMAX

• July 22, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
    I'm thinking about doing the unthinkable and selling off my Harley for another style of bike.  I'm thinking about the Ducati Diavel and the BMW R 1200  GS, but am starting to think about Yamaha's VMAX as well.  Any feedback?  Thoughts on packing things for day trips (recognizing that it's not intended for touring)?  Thanks in advance for any responses...
    • 1855 posts
    July 22, 2012 8:13 AM PDT
    So I gather you are quite the experienced rider? It's a huge, HUGE jump from a Harley to a VMAX. And why anyone would make that jump is unimagineable to me. I've ridden one................ONE time and I swore I'd never do it again. I couldn't begin to discuss "packing things". The thing is built for speed and that's all. Personally, I wouldn't own anything I consider to be a crotch-rocket cuz I'm not into wreckless abandon. But I gotta admire anyone who can handle those things. Unfortunately, there have been way too many who give those good riders a bad name. Good luck with whatever you decide and sure hope you enjoy your ride whatever it turns out to be

Peace
  • July 22, 2012 9:19 AM PDT
    Thank you for the input, Jimmy. I don't know if I meet your definition of "quite the experienced rider" or not, but if you're wondering if I'm the kind of guy who wants to be going 100+ MPH down the highway, the answer is "no." I do like riding hard and enjoy technical riding, but at forty-seven years of age, I'm not into reckless abandon any more than you are.

As to "packing things", I just saw one loaded up for a group ride yesterday at the Bald Eagle H-D dealership in Marquette, MI, but didn't have a chance to get a good look at it before they headed out. He had some gear strapped down and I'd like to hear first-hand from anyone else who's done that, or has general experience with the bike, how it runs, what's it like on maintenance, etc. I'm not worried about "image", I just want to get some feedback on the bike itself.
    • 5420 posts
    July 22, 2012 4:51 PM PDT
    VMax is a great bike if you want a sport style bike that is a little more comfortable than most sport bikes. A buddy of mine rides one and I did try it out on a short ride one day. I like the fact that you are a little more upright than most sport bikes and the pegs are even a little more forward, but yet it still moves and handles like a sport bike.

He has a small after market luggage rack on his that holds a small round bag perfectly, I have even seen him load it up with a weekends worth of camping gear. It is real streamline and doesn't take away from the bikes style at all.
  • July 23, 2012 7:45 AM PDT
    They make day packs for every need and every bike. You might want to consider the Suzuki GS bikes, I had the GS 1000 and it was a great bike for weekends and was very reliable too.
    • 834 posts
    July 24, 2012 3:32 PM PDT
    Go with what you feel the most comfortable on. Like wheels said you can pretty much put some stuff on any bike these days, especially if you're just talking day rides.
  • December 24, 2012 11:12 AM PST
    Yo! Wolf Pack.......Read My lips.....BMW C 650 GT Scooter! Try one and then U will throw rocks at B L B....Big Lard assed Bikes! 5% effort 95% pure pleasure. Ride Safe and often...Ray Mac.
  • May 27, 2014 3:12 PM PDT
    That bike is HP on 2 wheels (well hopefully), bike is designed for racing it has more power than you will use (normally) it is not comfortable for anyone over 35. great handeling but it would be like taking a Mopar Hemi and sitting on and riding down the road to the ER. exciting bike but not for everyone.
  • July 23, 2015 10:57 PM PDT
    My step-dad had one, had a Kerker 4 into 1 pipe, reworked airbox. Ran like a bat out of hell, and sounded like a muscle car with that pipe.The orginal muscle cruiser.
  • January 24, 2016 6:11 PM PST
    Motorcycles,Scooters and ATVs shop, megamotormadness
    http://www.megamotormadness.com />
    • 3006 posts
    January 28, 2016 3:40 PM PST
    When I was a younger man the VMax, was to me, the hottest looking ride I had ever seen. It just screamed power and a old friend back in the day bought a used one an would perform mile long wheelies shifting thru every gear !!!

Now ya have me wondering if you ended up getting one LOL another bucket list ride!!!
  • March 20, 2016 10:43 AM PDT
    Well, it's too bad Wolfpack wrote his post wrote his post four years ago so I'm sure he's found a bike by now that suits him. But being the owner of a 2d Generation Vmax I will tell anyone here who might be considering one that I love the performance. It's smooth, it's powerful and it will keep up with a liter bike to speeds up to 140mph. On the downside, creating all that horsepower comes at a price. With only a 4 gallon fuel tank and around 30mpg, it doesn't take a long time for the fuel light to come on, especially if you can't keep your hand out of the throttle, which I can't.