War vets

• 1 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:04 AM PDT
    i saw something a little ago, about who thinks about vets more than once or twice a year. I made a comment that I don't...and i have to be honest i don't. I know what memorial days there are. I buy my pins and tulips on the right days and the sprig of rosemary on its day. I even support Lagacy, but these days in my land ...legaties are scarce..

I'm not trying to start a fight...with any vets here either. I'm being honest...I have 2 cousins who are Vietnam vets...we talk when we see each other. Usually its not about Vietnam. but if the subject arises it's not talked about for long.

The thing that really irks me about the Vietnam war...is of all the people who didn't serve...what were they doing when the mororitoriums were being staged...what side of the fence were they sitting on then. I know where i was...Two cousins in the RAR...one a grunt rifleman and the other in Transport... both in country in 65/66 and 67/68 ....its very popular to say you support the troops these days...but i wonder where the loyalty was back in the day when it wasn't popular....

• June 12, 2012 10:48 AM PDT
    Want to see loyalty as it really is in the U.S. Start up the draft!!!
    • 1855 posts
    June 12, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
    I was a combat medic in Vietnam; in the boonies the entire time. And ya know what?  I gotta agree with you in the sentiment (I think) you're expressing.  While I am more than proud to have served my country, and even though I volunteered, I was against the war. It was something I could run away from when my friends were sacrificing.  I'm not gonna rehash old politics or cry over those who admonished me instead of the war either.  It's done.  But I do get sick and tired of hearing civilians say, "Welcome home".  They still do it and damn man, it's been over 40 years so quit patronizing me now!  Yeah, yeah, I'm sure they most likely mean it when they say it but.............................from one Nam Vet to the rest, "It's just a thing".

Yet unlike you, and without judging you, without any condemnation of you,  I DO think of Veterans everyday.  I'd like to think that most Veterans think of other Veterans.  I think of how each decade(s) of war was different, each with its different horror and difficulty.  I mean, I can't begin to imagine what it was like in the Civil War or WWI.  Even the significance of each of those wars often escapes me; mostly because there was so much history which led up to those wars and the horror. WWII on the other hand, and the Veterans who served, and the civilians who also sacrificed on the home front, touches me deeply.  There is no truer statement than, "they saved the world".  And it wasn't just Americans.  It was Veterans of all the allied countries.  I think of them everyday.  Imagine had they been defeated what the world might have become.  I can't begin to imagine the suffering we'd be enduring today.  So when my feet hit the floor every morning I thank God I'm alive and I thank that generation who sacrificed during WWII for my Freedom.  And believe me, we're really going to miss that generation when they are gone.

I've met some men who went through horrors most Americans couldn't imagine.  I spoke with a Cambodian Veteran of the war against the Kymer Rouge and it was just a shocking and moving conversation.  I spoke with Green Berets who knew the man to be one of the most patriotic, freedom loving, American loving person they had ever known; and one of the meanest, toughest ba$ta#ds they'd ever met.  There are heroes all over this world and if I could fit them into my everyday thoughts each and everyday I would.

I think it's hard for most Americans to feel the pulse of our most recent wars. I think the tragedy of the Vietnam war and the two decades of change (real change) that took place back then has a great deal to do with that.  We WANT to be the embodiment of a peaceful generation but we DON'T want to let down those who sacrifice their world, their lives; so much so that we shy away from understanding and yet seem to go to the extreme with our patriotic displays.  Example:

Donations to "Veteran" causes.  I give to a particular organization but only because I know it's not a scam.  And believe me, there are a number of so-called Veteran causes that are just that.
    Also:
    I'm tired of "patriotic" songs making the pop charts, the rock charts, country charts, etc.  Some musician struggles to get a song into the top 100 and, IMHO, when he can't, he cops out and puts together some patriotic dribble just to get noticed.  It's another form of patronizing as far as I'm concerned; even hypocrisy to his musical talent or lack thereof. Now, let's not take away from those artists who actually visit our troops on the front lines.  It's a wonderful thing they do. And I'm not saying that all musicians "fall back" on Patriotism just to get noticed either. So cut me some slack on that, eh?

And no!  I'm not offended that you don't think of Veterans everyday.  Nor do I think you actually should feel the need to do so.

Peace
  • June 12, 2012 5:20 PM PDT
    I'm not a Vet. I graduated high school the year after the draft registry was closed. Recently, the young generation of today, is making many of us proud. Our church has 4 listed that have or are serving overseas. Some of us do think of Vets a bit more now. From my standpoint, people's mindset to those in the military, and Vets in general, are at an all time high that I remember.
  • June 12, 2012 7:01 PM PDT
    Like Jimmy I was a Medic and in Combat a few times... Honduras, Panama and Iraq, I too was a volunteer but it was what I wanted to be when I grew up... a soldier. I was damn proud of my brothers I served with and damn proud of myself for making it home alive and I respect and honor ALL Vets for their sacrifices and feel deep sympathy for the families of those brothers and sisters that don't make it back to them.

I stay in touch with a few of my brothers still and I miss them every day.

I'm tired of "patriotic" songs making the pop charts, the rock charts, country charts, etc.  Some musician struggles to get a song into the top 100 and, IMHO, when he can't, he cops out and puts together some patriotic dribble just to get noticed.  It's another form of patronizing as far as I'm concerned; even hypocrisy to his musical talent or lack thereof. Now, let's not take away from those artists who actually visit our troops on the front lines.  It's a wonderful thing they do. And I'm not saying that all musicians "fall back" on Patriotism just to get noticed either. So cut me some slack on that, eh?  

Jimmy I couldn't agree more... I'm sick of this nonsense! Nothing but faux nationalist sentiment. These assholes want to contribute? Sign em up and put em out there with the 11 bang bangs give them some true perspective that war and battles aren't meant for cheezy pop songs and shouldn't be so highly glorified. Just my 2 cents.
    • 9 posts
    June 12, 2012 8:56 PM PDT

I've never been in the service, but have plenty of relative's (including Father, Uncle, Brother) who have.  And I can't forget all the kids who went to VietNam, cause a lot of them were my older sister's friends.  I was ten in '69, and we had one friend in particular we were pen-pal'ing with.  He was in country for 2 years, and sent me souveniers from places like Da'Nang.  All I can remember is how proud I was of "Jim", and the fact that he, and most of the others, made it home alive.  The pictures I was seeing on the news, painted a very grim and scary story. 

But what I'll NEVER understand, were the attitudes of regular people towards the returning Vets.  Like it was somehow, all "their" fault, this War was happening in the first place.  I would hear the "adults" talking about how these Vet's were scum, "useless hippies", who couldn't earn a buck the regular way, so they enlisted...
    Even at ten years old, I knew these were ignorant statements!  Good God, had they not "heard" about the draft?  Any parent of an eighteen year old son, was petrified enough. So many of the neighborhood homes had the "star" in the window. And somehow you just knew, some of those kids, never made it back.

And now, I have a son. And when he turned 18, he got his notice to register for selective service.  I can't even imagine, and sure as hell don't want to contemplate another draft.  But I know one thing for sure, if that day ever came, my boy would want to go, and even tho, he's an only child, I'd be proud of him for that.  Like I'm sure, many of your parents were.  We have a saying in "Biker-Land",  and it goes somethin' like this: "If they have to ask, they don't understand".  And I think that fits with some of the ignorance from people, as it applies to Vietnam Vets. "They" don't understand, and never will.  But I'm here to say, I know what you sacrificed, and I know you don't want to talk about it.  And somehow, sayin' Thank You, doesn't seem like enough.  Or what you want to hear.  Just know, there are plenty of folks out there, who appreciated you then, and still do today.  As for myself, I support all of our troops and our Vets.  I've known so many, and I kinda feel, like I know them all...

Ride Free 
    Tweek

• 19046 posts
    June 12, 2012 11:29 PM PDT
    Unable to actually put a frequency on it I do think of Vets quite often. Being retired AF I guess that is normal. My father was a WWII purple heart vet wounded in Bastongue. He NEVER talked about it. When the mini-series 'Band of Brothers' was released only then did I discover some of what they ALL did for us. As Jimmy said. They Saved The World from a Madman who mesmerized his country, All Allied Troops.

I will offer a 'sincere' welcome home to any Viet Nam vet because I was there. Not in combat but fixing C-130s. One thing that REALLY POs me is the ones who claim to be combat vets who after a few minutes of conversation it is obvious they are full of Bull. At the time, I was very pro government and hated the protestors but later in life I became aware that many of them were right. Although I never, and still do not, approved of some of their methods, especially one!
    • 1855 posts
    June 13, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
     . One thing that REALLY POs me is the ones who claim to be combat vets who after a few minutes of conversation it is obvious they are full of Bull. 

Amen to that brother.  That sheite got me into one of the largest bar room brawls in our town a number of years back.  I got my ass whoooped but I made my point.  It was until later than a few this dude's buddies understood the reason for the whole thing.

Peace

• 1 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:25 AM PDT
    We have this thing, well it not a thing, its a political debating squad that set up in a park in Sydney, at a place called the Domain every Sunday. You get to take a tomato crate and stand up and just talk about any subject you like. Open debate. Back in the 60's it was a place that generated great turmoil within the community. For a great sunday outing my mom took me alot..some subjects were inetersting while others went over my head literally. 68 was bad...the morotorium was in full swing and thousands gathered to have their say.. the fights, the hawks and the pacifists were on the fringes...it was a place to avoid...or get stuck right in.
    These days it seems to be a very part of our existance. Last time over in your land, i was amazed at the depth of patriotism, that was openly displayed..flags and those service bars hangin in peoples front windows..ity made me feel that what my country does is far too little for the sacrifices that soldiers, make. Maybe i should blanket it all by just saying all military personel....
    • 2 posts
    June 13, 2012 1:02 PM PDT
    Personally, my service pretty safe & pretty unremarkable. - but maybe because read a lot of history or maybe because named after a relative lost during WWII or maybe because have a child who is a pretty senior officer in a branch of the Navy that will be the point of the spear if the balloon ever does up THINK about veterans a few time most every day.