the quiet harley

• 1 posts
    June 3, 2012 2:55 PM PDT
    As a rule because i ride a HD I'm a bit of a lout, but today when i had the inspection for the bike under EPA noise emissions, I changed the bike back to original..when I fired it i couldn't hear it...sounded alot like a BMW...so not to be recognised when I rode over top the inspection station, I wore a full face with a dark tinted visor. I wonder if it worked..? Needless to say the meter read 88 db...and i rode out, and rode home fast...I 'd have hated to be recognised on the quiet Harley...getting home..I sat in the shed for a bit...and decided to put the older tapered turbos on, they had been drilled and were louder than the originals..while sifting through the garbage I keep in the shed. I came across an old pair of slashies... gave em a quick wipe over and they looked ok...broke out the grey primer paint, and sprayed the inner slash then cleaned em up and jammed em on...sounded better than the originals...So i took her for a test ride and went past a few cops..didn't even rate a look..I even changed the lid back to an open face..as i had sound...The big test will come when i'm away out of my usual area...at least it sounds like a harley again...but it sure lost that look the Vance and Hines give it...that big radius look...I just hope V & H come up with a better sounding longer baffle before too long...and one that doesn't impede the power output too much. Good luck with that V & H....
  • June 3, 2012 4:33 PM PDT
    Amazing how a bike can take up a day.
    • 0 posts
    June 3, 2012 5:35 PM PDT
    Jonesy me old china...Ya buggerising around down there with those leather cap wearing nazi's..Ya gonna have to start heading north digger...Unless your a member of a certain outlaw gang on the goldie your pretty safe up this way...I know I know..I touched wood after I typed that..CHEERS BOOF
    • 1 posts
    June 3, 2012 7:05 PM PDT
    hey boof you wanna know whats really funny....even the epa guy agreed that rego'ing in Qld was a good idea.
    • 0 posts
    June 3, 2012 7:28 PM PDT
    yeah mate coz we have that sunny cheerful disposition and shit...Rego's expensive here though mate...We pay for the sunshine..