Motorcycle Tour

• May 29, 2012 7:32 PM PDT
    I am a new rider and I want to learn about motorcycle tour or touring. Since it takes days to complete this tour, how do you pack? What are the things that you usually bring with you? I would love to experience this activity but I am not sure of what to bring. Any ideas? thank you!
  • May 30, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
    well, pull everything out you want to take then get rid of half of it.........LOL! I usually will only have 2 jeans one on my body, maybe 3 t shirts, leathers, rain gear, small "beauty kit" maps water, snack, cards cash, phone, tent and sleeping bag,maybe tire repair, tools, manual, and for everything else there is Wall Mart............"T"
    • 467 posts
    May 30, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
    The three most important things I have when packing for trips is my T-bag, compression straps and bungee nets! With those 3 things I can back pretty much everything I need for a weeks worth of camping on my Fatboy.
    • 846 posts
    May 30, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
    The normal stuff for the bike, Toolkit,(tool kits are a whole topic by themselves) Neting/bungee cords, Rain suit and any other components you need for your bike. On longer trips carry oil and or water for the bike (if water cooled). If this is organized trip and there a support vehicle you can dump some of this and your daily gear there and just carry the essentials.

For yourself i carry leather jacket (for all weather) in some case a sweat shirt, three changes of tshirts and undies one extra pare of jeans plus shaving kit. By day three either look for a laundry mat or walmat to by new. My rule is cloths you always over pack for so what I have here and shaving kit all fit in half a average medium duffel bag. That means it can be easily be strapped to the bike and at the end of it just one item to unstrap or grab out of the saddle bags.

If your camping you need to look at weather your cooking your meals or stopping in dinner & dives (my favorites). The camp utensils take up a lot of space and food so i go with the dinners. Eliminating the food only requires Tent and ground cloth. Sleeping bags need to be looked at is it warm or cooler. If cooler then a sleeping bag if not then a sheet or a fleece sheet can replace the bag and save space. I've soften over the years and carry a self inflating sleeping pad. A flash light that can be used as a simple lantern should be in your tool kit or in your camping stuff. I carry a collapsible cooler for evening beers. Never buy more beer then you plan to drink that night is a good rule so your not carrying those leftover on the bike.

How ever you do your packing take time at the end when your home and look at what you didn't use or wear and on your next trip you can whittle it down some more or add what you need, but since you may have pick it up on your last trip you may already have it. It surprising how little you really need.

Happy trails