My Switchback

• June 1, 2012 9:19 PM PDT
    Now here is something I read on another forum that I think might help. From what I read the guy stated he took the forward bolt out the one next to the exhaust clamp then cranked the bike. From what stated it ran smooth as silk. To fix it he enlarged the hole in the bracket then used a longer bolt with a nut on the back side of the bracket. Now on mine I found that the front isolator was not the problem but the drive belt was so tight it had zero free play.
    • 1855 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
    Customizing is one thing. Having to re-engineer the ride is another. But hey, I'm happy ya'll aren't having the problems I've had.

Peace
  • June 2, 2012 1:35 PM PDT
    LugoffSCFLD wrote...
    Now here is something I read on another forum that I think might help. From what I read the guy stated he took the forward bolt out the one next to the exhaust clamp then cranked the bike. From what stated it ran smooth as silk. To fix it he enlarged the hole in the bracket then used a longer bolt with a nut on the back side of the bracket. Now on mine I found that the front isolator was not the problem but the drive belt was so tight it had zero free play.

I saw that myself... tried it, didn't do squat for me... but then I'm not having troubles.

• June 2, 2012 2:53 PM PDT
    I asked a Harley sales guy what the difference was between a softail heritage and the dyna road king, including the mono shock he mentioned the heritage had counterbalancers where the dynas used rubber mounts, or something like that. My question is, if they put counterbalancers in one line, why not all the others?
  • June 2, 2012 3:17 PM PDT
    The counter balancers are meant for the models that have motors bolted to the frame... like the softail models.
  • November 2, 2012 7:07 PM PDT
    I also have a new Switchback and with all due respect, there's nothing wrong with the Dyna series.  In fact, the Softail is actually the weaker design, as it uses several compromises in the rear suspension to accommodate the hard tail styling.  Some softails even have offset rear wheels so the front and rear wheels don't track in the same plane.  That's just weird...

The Dyna places the biggest motor in the smallest frame which saves weight, improves handling and gives you a better performing bike, albeit a less smooth one for the long haul. 

I've also felt some vibration in the bars and floorboards on mine from time to time and it's simply engine harmonics.  You'll notice that it only does this within a specific RPM range and load.  Downshift, speed up or slow down and it goes away.  If it's a problem for some, than trade it on an FLH.  

BTW I've also had an FXR and it was pretty awesome.  IMHO the FLD is the best new Harley in decades.  Great machine with a lot of touring potential.  I expect Harley to produce a Tourpak mounting kit and batwing for it in the future.     
    • 1855 posts
    November 3, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
    Personally I never said there was anything wrong with the Dyna series. I happen to own a Wideglide as well. But the Switchback I "had" was a piece of sheite. A person shouldn't have to put up with any issues such as new motor mounts (isolators) at only 1,000 miles. Nor should catalytic converters be rattling around in the exhaust. I'm going to say that "I probably just got a lemon; one that was going to nickle and dime or spend more time in the shop than on the road". And I'm soooooo happy noone else had the problems I had.

Peace
  • January 31, 2013 8:12 AM PST
    Hello, I am a new member and whould like to know if you or any one has heard from H.D. about the vibrations on the switchback's,have called H.D. but have heard nothing yet,hope to hear from someone. Holmz
    • 1855 posts
    January 31, 2013 10:46 AM PST
    There's a good deal of speculation and difference of opinions on the Switchback. You've read my opinion. Here's one link that may offer you some insight. But do a google search on "Switchback vibrations" and you'll find other stuff. But in the end it's all a matter of taste. I love my '98 Dyna WG but the SB is nowhere near the bike my Dyna is.

http://www.justanswer.com/motorcycle/6s2r2-2012-dyna-switchback-terible-vibration-starting.html
  • February 13, 2013 7:40 AM PST
    Let's hope it's the motor mount,because i'm having my switchback fixed as I wright this.Hope that's all it is,even if I want to put louder pipes on I shouldent have to pay for them if their causing the vibration's. Holm-z
    • 1855 posts
    February 14, 2013 4:24 AM PST
    There is some speculation that the frontend on the SB doesn't absorb the vibes as well as the extended wideglide front end or the narrow glide front end of the low riders. All the energy from the rubber mounted engine has no where to go on the heavier frontend. Makes some sense but I don't know. All I know is that the vibes are pretty well concentrated and honestly, I just don't think motor mounts (isolators) are going to fix the problem. But good luck.

Peace
  • March 5, 2013 10:08 AM PST
    Took my switchback to the dealer for my 1000 mile service and to fix the vibration.Well to my surprise they fixed it by doing what H.D. said to do,motor mount was the problem and I put on a new vance&hines slip-on muffler,that's all it took.ALL BETTER ... Holm-z
  • April 30, 2013 11:51 PM PDT

on the switchback.... while it can contribute to the problem  it is not the engine mounts, clutch adjustment, belt too tight, etc,etc

the issue as stated above is the way the exhaust system mounts to the bike, you have a very long muffler that is mounted with 2 bolts to a bracket that is switchback specific, this design allows excessive vibration to transfer through the whole frame from around 2650 to 3200 rpm.. the fix for this is around $5 and maybe 1/2 hour of labor to make it perfect....

there is a "how to" on another site but i am unsure of the forum rules on linking to other web pages here....

if you do a google search for >   switchback owners    < it should be the first site that comes up and you can look in the "how to"
    section for specific information on how to effect the repair.. the modification if performed correctly is a guaranteed way to get rid of those
    excessive vibrations that make you hate your switchback

• May 24, 2013 9:34 PM PDT
    If the fix is that simple why would the dealer just not fix it. I took mine back three times and every time the end result was them saying that it is operating normally.

Here is my whole experience with them.

First trip back
    I told them I’m experiencing a lot of vibration at certain rpms but mostly on the highway when I’m setting at 80mph in sixth gear

Service manager’s response: Is this your first Dyna. My response: Yes but I have been riding for 30 years with the last six on an Ultra so I know what a rubber mounted bike is supposed to feel like.

They take it for two days and tell me that the belt was a little on the tight side, technician loosens the belt, takes it for test drive and reports the vibration is gone.

I barely get down the road before I notice the vibration is obviously there, I continue onto the highway and still at 80 and 3000 rpms the vibration is numbing. I bring it back the following day.

Second trip back
    My Description:
    Feel vibration in driveline at 2900-3000rpm every gear or when motorcycle is cruising in sixth gear above 75mph

Dealer Resolution:
    Tech called corporate tech services. Performed service bulletin M-1324. Test rode motorcycle 10 miles. Second tech test rode motorcycle, normal operation at this time.

My comments on their resolution:
    Not only is the vibration still there it actually seems to be worst. Printed out M-1324, which mostly described modifications to the motor mounts and proper torque settings of the exhaust.

Third trip back
    My Description:
    Vibration very noticeable in every gear at 2900 to 3000RPM. Unbearable cruising on highway doing 80 in six gear and 3000RPM.

Sales manager slapped a plate on another new Switchback for me to test drive so I could make sure it was not just how Switchbacks are. The results of test drive showed no vibration in any gear. Cruising on highway at 80 in six gear on test bike had no noticeable vibration proving there is issue with the bike I bought. Sales manager goes back to service department with me and tells them to take the bike I took for a test drive so they can compare feel what a Switchback feels like that does not have any vibration. From their resolution below I don’t think they took the other one for a comparison ride.

Dealer Resolution:
    Tech read customers letter of description to corporate tech services.
    Corporate tech services states that is normal operation for a FLD103.
    Six gear is for cruising at higher speeds. For acceleration, downshift to increase RPMS, then accelerate.
    Tech services also stated that a comparison between two motorcycles of the same year and model cannot be done. Each motor has different parts, as does the entire motorcycle, using the seat as an example.

My Comments on their resolution:
    Dealer had the bike for three full days, when I picked it up there was only an additional 2 tenths of a mile on the odometer which means all they did was make a call to HD Tech Services and moved it in and out of the shop in the morning and night to get it out of their way.
    Since I did not experience any noticeable vibration on the test drive of another FLD, they are saying that severe vibration is normal for some FLD’s
    The owner’s manual states you should shift into 6th gear at 55 MPH but Corp Tech Services states that six gear is for cruising at higher than the 80 that I said I was at. I typically shift into six gear when I’m in fifth gear an 3000rmp’s approximately doing 70MPH
    The last thing they are trying to convince me of seems to be that the vibration I’m experiencing is because I swapped out their crap stock seat for a Corbin. When in fact the Corbin seat was the only good thing about the ride.

At this point I express my frustrations with the sales manager and that I’m even willing to pay more for a different model than the Dyna just to have a good running bike. He states that it is important to him that I’m a happy customer and will work with me and get me something else. So his initial definition of working with me to correct the issues is to offer me a 2013 Road King for an additional $6600 over what I paid for the Switchback with just over 2500 miles. After a lot of arguing my point that it’s not that I don’t like Switchback I just don’t like one that’s bad, and him saying that most dealers would tell me to go “Pound Sand” he wore me down and I agreed to an additional $3800 and $200 off the first service and they move over the alarm from the Switchback to the Road King @ $4000 out the door.

I went home that night and spent two hours taking off all the extras that I put on but had to eat $700 that I spent on the Corbin seat because I left the original seat in Daytona when I got the Corbin.

End result is although I feel they screwed me royally by not honoring a valid warranty issue, I now have a more expensive Road King that has ZERO vibration and yes some may say that all Harleys vibrate but that’s not what I consider the NORMAL operating feel of a Harley. What I consider vibration is what I was experiencing on the FLD.

As they say “Hind Sight Is 20/20” if I could do it over I would have taken the bike to an independent motorcycle repair shop and pay for a mechanical evaluation and then demand that my dealer fly a Harley Rep into evaluate the issue. What good is a two-year warranty when all they have to do is keep telling you the bike is operating normally.

I hope somehow this posting reaches Harley Cooperate and they reach out to me for the dealer info.

PS: So here’s is something I forgot to mention the following day I go back to turn in the Switchback and pick up the Road King the “General Manger” there wants to take the Switchback for a ride and suggest that I take the Road King that I’m getting and follow along with him. I tell him there is no way I going to start the beak-in of a bike with 5 miles on it by doing 80+ on the highway. (are you kidding me) Yes some may say that’s how they break-in a bike but I have never and I was not about to.

He gives me a used Road King to go with him and his comments of the test drive is that he does feel a LITTLE vibration but I just needed to power thru it and keep the bike in 4200rpm range. So here is the clincher I’m back there a few days later and one of the guys in the service department who was not involved with the Switchback earlier told me he took it for a test drive the day before and has never experience a bike with such bad vibration. At least there is someone there that’s honest.

• February 27, 2015 4:18 AM PST
     Gotta say I love my 2014 Switchback no issues besides all the people telling how great looking the bike is.