Shovelhead starting problems.

• May 3, 2012 12:13 PM PDT
    I have owned a 1981 shovelhead FLH since it was new.
    When starting it yesterday, I had to push the starter button 5 times before it turned over. The battery is new, the starter button connected because of a strong clicking from the lower left side just above the trans. Any thoughts. I can change the solenoid, but do not want to just start buying parts until the problem is fixed.
    • 16798 posts
    May 3, 2012 4:49 PM PDT
    I have taken them apart before, sometimes all it needs is to clean the contacts, if something is broke you still should be able to get a rebuild kit.
    • 5419 posts
    May 3, 2012 5:23 PM PDT
    Yep, I'm with John. First thing I would do is open it up and see if there is anything obvious wrong with it.
    • 0 posts
    May 3, 2012 10:59 PM PDT
    WHEN I NEEDED A NEW SOLINIOD IT CAME FROM A DATSUN AND WAS LIKE 100 BUCKS CHEAPER THAN HARLEY
    CHEERS BOOF
  • May 4, 2012 12:21 AM PDT
    Thanks all. I'll get into it tomorrow morning.
  • May 6, 2012 12:40 AM PDT
    Took the solenoid out yesterday and nothing appears to be broken. I will order the re-build kit and a new relay, just in case. For those interested, for full access you have to remove the left exhaust piping and the primary cover. Use new gaskets for re-assembly. REMOVE the battery so the chains and sprockets do not remove your fingers.
    Wondering if i should replace the starter relay while I have this all apart.
    • 1855 posts
    May 7, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
    My thought is the ignition switch itself.

Peace
    • 5419 posts
    May 17, 2012 12:16 PM PDT
    Hey Allen, how goes the battle... You get it fixed???
    • 19 posts
    September 14, 2012 12:52 AM PDT
    Working on my 1974 shovelhead and want to set the timing,I found the site hole,and it looks like it will spill out oil and lose vacum? What to do?I think i rember reading something about a site hole glass?Is there some way to keep it from spitting oil out,wile setting timimg?