1990 tour glide classic charging problems ???

• April 17, 2012 4:15 PM PDT
    hello Im new to this but here goes .. I have a 1990 tour glide classic that im having trouble with my battery going dead..put the volt metter on battery and while running get same reading instaed of it going up to 14 volts or better so that tells me that it's either the volt reg. or the altenator stator i pull the pug out of the casing from the regulator and testted the stator and got 30+ volts when bike was reved..from other forums that told me change the volt reg.. my question is ...is there a way to check the voltage reg before i invest in buying a new one or could it be another problem...turn signals mostly seam afected by the battery voltage going low is this normal ???thanks in advance for any help ...murph
    • 5420 posts
    April 18, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
    Found this on J&P Cycles Tech Section...
    (http://community.jpcycles.com/articles/tech-articles/pages/testing-harley-davidson-charging-systems.aspx)

Regulator Test: Each of the following tests isolates the regulator only, so if any of these tests fail, the regulator is at fault.

Identifying Wires:

Battery Charge Lead- Wire going from regulator to battery positive.
        AC output leads- Wires coming from the Stator to regulator.
        Ground- Wire from Regulator to ground or regulator may be grounded via the physical bolting to chassis.

Regulator Ground Test: Insure the regulator body is grounded or grounding wire is fastened tight to a good ground (you should verify this by checking continuity from regulator body to chassis ground).

Fwd/Reverse Bias Test/Diode Test: This check is testing the Diode function to ensure it is regulating the AC current for the stator into DC Current.
    1.     Switch multi meter to Diode Scale.
    2.     Place your Multi meter positive lead on each AC output wire.
    3.     Place your multi meter negative lead on the battery Charge wire.
    4.     The meter should read voltage typically around .5 volts.
    5.     Next, switch your multi meter leads putting the negative lead on the AC output wires and the Positive lead on the Battery Charge Wire.
    6.     The reading should be Infinite.
    7.     With your meter on the same setting, place your multi meter positive lead on the regulator ground wire or to the regulator directly, and then place your meter negative lead on the AC output leads.
    8.     The meter should read voltage typically around .5 volts.
    9.     Next, switch your multi meter leads putting the negative lead on the regulator ground and the Positive lead on the AC output wires.
    10.     The reading should be Infinite.
        Note: Below is a table to show the readings:

Positive Lead Negative Lead Reading
    AC output 1 Battery charge lead Voltage
    AC output 2 Battery Charge Lead Voltage
    Battery charge lead AC output 1
    Battery charge lead AC output 2
    Ground AC output 1 Voltage
    Ground AC output 2 Voltage
    AC output 1 Ground
    AC output 2 Ground

Hope it helps some...
  • April 18, 2012 3:48 AM PDT
    thanks Lucky for the info i will definitely try this before buying the volt reg...not to sound stupid but i do have a question do i do this test with ingnition switch on and bike running or just ignition switch on ?? I dont know that much about electricical I know i can do the work as far as changing the volt reg and mechanical ,,just the electricical stuff throughs me for a loop !! thanks again..
    • 2 posts
    April 18, 2012 2:00 PM PDT
    The test Lucky posted is a rectifier/regulator diode check. It should be done with the regulator/rectifier isolated. Make sure meter is set to diode check and check both forward and reverse bias. Forward bias can anywhere read between .3 - 8 VDC and be o.k. A typical reading would be anything between .500 and .550 VDC. Reverse bias should read OL.

If all checks well there test loaded stator output at the rectifier with the engine running (should be 9-20 VAC) and unloaded stator output with engine running and stator unplugged from the rectifier/regulator (should be 15-100 VAC)

• 2 posts
    April 18, 2012 2:04 PM PDT
    If everything checks out ok. You can pull the stator and test that as well for resistance and insulation breakdown
  • May 2, 2012 3:17 AM PDT
    Thanks everyone for the info ...replaced the voltage regulator and that seemed to do the trick !! volt meter is working correctly and reading 13 or beter when reving and riding the bike with radio and all lights on !!! think i fixed the problem thanks again for alll your help great sight !!! thanks lucky !! ride safe everyone !!!