Jetting?

• April 10, 2012 2:36 AM PDT
    Ok, I'm not a very mechanical person but I'm determined to learn. I've decided to replace my exhaust with an aftermarket one. I've read in the reviews that people have mentioned needing to jet them. Can someone explain this to me? How hard is this? Are there any special tools required? etc.....
  • April 10, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

Ummm, If you can understand the rantings of a "Fog Breathing Limey Brit B'Stard"  I shall try to give you the briefest details ok?

Ok, the "Jetting" you refer to is actually to do with the fuel system-not the pipes...lol...by changing the pipes you are creating a different back pressure from the engine through the exhaust pipes ok?  What "Jetting" does is to change the idle and main jets in the carburettors to balance the flow and back pressure to aid the smooth running of your engine...It may run ok with aftermarket pipes if they are directly made for your make and model, but most are general pipes and it is best to re-jet the carburettors...If you are used to working on carburettors then its no big deal - but, if you are not confident with carburettors then get a pro to do it ok?  Make sure its someone who understands your msake and model and the principals of the correct back pressure etc...hope this helps mate...

• April 10, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
    It does help. Thank you
  • April 10, 2012 5:55 AM PDT
    No problem mate.
    • 3006 posts
    April 10, 2012 6:42 AM PDT
    Just my 02 worth
    Rejetting isnt always necessary for the Honda's,depending on the style of pipes your purchasing,like Jet said changing out the pipes,it changes the back pressure to the exhaust system.On the Honda there is an air fuel mixture screw,which when adjusted properly can eliminate the need for re-jetting with certain styles of pipes that are designed for use with your bike.
    Typically adding pipes would require some mods other than just rejetting,or fuel mix screw adjustment,its necessary at times to increase the air flow to the carb to enhance the added fuel flows after the rejet or screw adjustment.The motor will breathe better n add a few more ponys overall,seat of the pants some guys say they notice a difference,while others say any increase is modest at best.Mainly most guys want the new pipes for sound first n looks second,its crucial if your looking for better sound to check youtube for vids on your style of bike to get an idea of how it will sound with diff styles of aftermarket pipes along with a lot of tips on installation.
    Also check for specific Shadow rider forums online where you can pick up lots of good info also on making changes to the bike.& lots of info pertaining to a rejet or air/fuel mix screw adjustments on those sites.
    Once your more familiar with whats involved in changing out the pipes,you can also get an idea of just what is required to a rejet & if its something you think you could tackle on your own.Not terribly difficult,yet it does take a bit of care & attention to details,which with your background in arms should be fairly easy to do.
    stay safe n enjoy the ride !!!
  • April 10, 2012 6:46 AM PDT
      .....Yeah...What He Just Said...lol...

I know nothing about the newer Shadows...but I am guessing the '05 Sabre has a management system...if you dont get the settings exact it is going to sound and run crap mate.....

Now the '86 Custom Low ride VT 1100 you could play with by altering stuff, but I am not sure about the Sabre...also... the '88 VT 1100 I bought had crap aftermarket pipes on it and it sounded crap with a "pop pop pop" kind of sound instead of a thud thud thud of other V-Twins.....

See if you can 'borrow' or do a 'try before ya buy' to see what they sound and run like mate ok?
  • April 11, 2012 4:25 AM PDT
    Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. Being new to bikes is a drawback to figuring some of this stuff out. But luckily I enjoy learning new and challenging things. So we'll see how this goes. Thanks again.