2006 Honda vtx 1800 R Radior

• March 31, 2012 5:52 AM PDT

I have a 2006 1800R I bought new from a dealer with a great reputation, I have purchased several bike and referred many others there. My first radior had to be replaced at 10k it began to leak. It was replaced under the excended warranty I bought. Yesterday the second one began to leak at the same spot the bike now has 20k miles. Never been downed or hit. There is no dammage to the frame around it. Seems strange to have it go every 10k miles. The dealer is not sure Honda will do anything. Has anyone had simular issues or have any ideas masonictemplar32@aol.com

• 0 posts
    March 31, 2012 6:17 AM PDT
    Take a voltmeter and make sure you have a good ground connection and test to see if you have ANY voltage in the system when the positive probe in dangled in the water. (Anything over about 10 millivolts will create an issue.) If you do, you do not have a good ground and the battery is using the cooling system as a partial ground causing electrolysis in your system.
    Also make sure the radiator is not being stressed in the mount.
    • 3006 posts
    March 31, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
    My only input,have owned my Honda 1300 VTX for 10 yrs now no radiator leaks ovr 58,000 on her.Changed out coolant once.There are some VTX specific boards out there too,with lots of good info.
    Where is the leak happening at?