Dry Primary on Softail

• 844 posts
    April 15, 2009 5:59 AM PDT

I want to put a dry, open primary on my Softail.  I have a couple of questions...

1) Any tips or things I should think about to install it.

2) Are there any real disadvantages to a dry primary vs a wet (stock) primary?

Any input is appreciated.

• 19037 posts
    April 15, 2009 12:59 PM PDT
    First I have to say I have no personal expierence with a dry primary. I will say that that big open belt and near my pant cuffs scares the hell out of me. But it sure do look cool.
    • 5420 posts
    April 17, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

Hey GoFur, I was looking for something else and came across this article at StreetChopper...

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/tech/0505stc_installing_belt_drives/index.html

I must say I do agree with RexTheRoadDog though...they scare me.  As a matter-of-fact here is how the article on installing them starts...

• 844 posts
    April 18, 2009 1:53 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky. Actually doesn't seem that hard after reading that article. After reading some of the bad stuff, now I have to think about whether I really want one.
    • 844 posts
    April 19, 2009 3:19 AM PDT
    Ok, decided to go for it. Going down to pick up the kit now. I will upload some pictures when I get r done
    • 19037 posts
    April 19, 2009 1:16 PM PDT
    Looking forward to the photos.
    • 5420 posts
    June 16, 2009 12:09 PM PDT
    Hey GoFur, did you ever get that open dry primary on your softail? Waiting to hear how it went and see some pictures.
  • June 16, 2009 4:42 PM PDT
    GoFur, I'm sure this is to late judging by your last post, but just in case it's not. I had a rigid chop. that I ran a closed dry belt setup that worked very well. It was a 1.5" belt that sat insde the stock primary cover, I vented it by spacing out the inspection cover about a 1/4". it was very easy to work on cause you did not have the oil mess so you could take the cover off if needed any where with no worries. This setup never let me down. I know it's not the sexxy look of an open but works just as well.
    • 844 posts
    June 18, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky, got the kit just have been so damn busy at work that I haven't had time to put it on. I guess that's a good thing because I really do need the work and things are really bad in my industry. Hope to get it done over the 4th of July weekend.
  • July 7, 2009 3:46 PM PDT
    just took the dry off and put the wet back on.we do alot of these in the shop,the only draw back to the dry is the clutch will pull.If you sit at an intersection or in traffic,make sure your in nuetral,otherwise it will start pulling you along.This is due to the clutch plates not getting enough cooling,and expanding.Also, after a good long run,it will pull you when you get into town.If you sit with the cluth in,it will lock up in gear..hope this helps ya.
    • 844 posts
    August 16, 2009 3:55 AM PDT
    Finally got the open primary on the Softail. It does look cool, but I am not really sure I like it. Like RextheRaodDog said, the belt is king of scaring me a bit. I am going to ride with it for a couple of weeks and see if I can get used to it, if not I will have it for sale
    • 19037 posts
    August 17, 2009 9:17 AM PDT
    Good luck there GoFur. I hope all goes well for you with this. Don't let my timidness scare ya.