Nashville?

• 1855 posts
    March 14, 2012 2:43 PM PDT
    As I've mentioned earlier, we're heading to Alabama soon; down to the Gulf.  Planning on a stop in nashville.  Anyone been there?  Anyone got some special memories?  A place we SHOULD go?  We're retired so we do have the time.  In fact, we just might be on the road for the next 3 months. Sure could use some input if you have it.
    Thanks

Peace
  • March 14, 2012 2:50 PM PDT
    I've never been there, but friends tell me that if you like country music there are a lot of little clubs with awesome entertainers.
  • March 14, 2012 2:52 PM PDT
    dude have ya done the Natchez Trace Trail? That's a nice road from Natchez Mississippi across the state, cross over the northwestern part of Alabama, then into TENN.I thinks the whole road is some 580 miles? not 100% sure of that but is quite has some nice sweepers, goes through Tupelo can see where the Tornado damage was done, which is surreal look to it. Going to Nashville well I can say grow about 3 more sets of eyes man they is nutty there for sure, but do go to the Grande Ole Opry! what the heck your there right, I did and ended up being there and seeing Carrie Underwood, Martina, Darius, and the Oak Ridge Boys. Had a really good time too. Whatever you decide to do enjoy the trip man! "T"
    • 1855 posts
    March 14, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    Tumbles wrote...
    dude have ya done the Natchez Trace Trail? That's a nice road from Natchez Mississippi across the state, cross over the northwestern part of Alabama, then into TENN.I thinks the whole road is some 580 miles? not 100% sure of that but is quite has some nice sweepers, goes through Tupelo can see where the Tornado damage was done, which is surreal look to it. Going to Nashville well I can say grow about 3 more sets of eyes man they is nutty there for sure, but do go to the Grande Ole Opry! what the heck your there right, I did and ended up being there and seeing Carrie Underwood, Martina, Darius, and the Oak Ridge Boys. Had a really good time too. Whatever you decide to do enjoy the trip man! "T"

Thanks 'T'.  Yes I've done the Trace.  I've done the Trail of Tears run as well.  I just don't stop and take in some of the highlights of  places I'm in.  Seems I always have to be on the move.  This year I want to say more than just "I've been there", ya know.  Definitely the Opry is a must.

Peace

• March 14, 2012 3:05 PM PDT
    nashville is a great stop on any tour we stayed three days and just hit broadway day and night for live music, cocktails and food.I liked roberts western world and all bars within walking distance.there's live music day and night.down the block under the bb kings.there is a bar with open mic on wednesdays and saturdays and some of the talent that comes in it's hard to believe doesn't have a recording contract.check out WWW.NASHVILLESCENE.COM.Nashville I highly recommend. I'm a big music fan and not just country.
    • 1855 posts
    March 14, 2012 3:07 PM PDT
    "Broadway".....is that the name of the main drag...music row as it were?

Peace
    • 823 posts
    March 14, 2012 3:17 PM PDT
    Spent a few days there awhile back, other than the regular spots like The Ryman and printers alley, my favorite place to spend the afternoon was the big river grille & brewing works, Good selection of beer brewed in house. Wasn't impressed with the wild horse and coyote ugly which are more touristy I suppose but worth a look to say you have been there. I usually stay away from the crowds and enjoy the more nostalgic places. I guess it depends on what interest you, lots to see and do in Nashville if you have never been. Wasn't on my bucket list but ended up there with no regrets.
  • March 14, 2012 3:18 PM PDT
    thats it sent some pics of it
  • March 14, 2012 3:27 PM PDT
    oh man ya have to go to the WildHorse Sallon, some times they have scheduled big names, but other times the big names that are over at the opry will pop in for a drink now and again. They do line dance lessons and the top floor has pool tables if you into to that kind of a thing. have a great one! "T"
    • 601 posts
    March 15, 2012 11:14 PM PDT
    Myself and my wife were thgere a few years back, we would not be great fans of "country" music tho' we do enjoy the highwaymen type of music... but we discovered "rockabilly and psychabilly" music in some of the smaller clubs and bars, music we never even knew existed, and we love it ever since. If you are into some real foottappin'/head shakin' choons, "off broadway" is the best.
    • 51 posts
    March 16, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
    I'm not a big country fan either but I have been to Nashville a couple of times. Even though they are know for their country stars, Nashville is the MUSIC capital of the World. Like Rory said if you look around you can find any type of music you want in Nashville. There are a couple of Blues Clubs there I love to visit. If nothing else it is great to just wander the town and people watch. Everyone seems to be a little more friendly when the visit Nashville, or maybe only friendly people visit Nashville.
  • March 16, 2012 4:48 AM PDT
    Downtown is pretty cool. Great Ice cream The Gaylord Hotel is fun (Opry Land Hotel) and I sent ya PM about a CH nearby if your so inclined.
    ~P
  • March 16, 2012 5:51 AM PDT
    Nashville is awesome. I love Broadway! I was there in 2010 when it flooded. Was attending a conference at the Gaylord and was evacuated to the Hilton on 4th St. Needless to say the conference was cancelled so I spent the next couple of days bar-hopping on Broadway. What a blast. I was also evacuated from the Hilton to the Hutton. The rooms just got better and better! :-) Went back a year later and did it all over again...without the flood! I love Nashville!
    • 395 posts
    March 16, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
    the trace is awesome...opryland hotel is mega beautiful...but pricey...wildhorse saloon is good if you like to dance........check out the exit inn..they have a lot of big name bands that play there under "assumed" names.......if you go hang downtown...scope out parking ahead of time...park and walk, they have changed the rules on "cruising" through downtown because the traffic and pedestrians were causing serious conflict.......you can check out the country music hall of fame and museum...and if you hang on Broadway lots of great coffee shops and small restaurants...want THE BEST meat and three...go down Charlotte to Wendell's restaurant...home cooked food, and the lunch rush...you could be sitting next to a construction worker on one side and a country music star on the other..the best food!!!!.....