Roadside Assistance - Opinions Wanted

• 2 posts
    March 9, 2012 11:41 AM PST

Getting so old no longer enjoy the thought of repairing a ride alongside the highway, considering joining some group.

Have received offers from:

·         All State Insurance

·         AARP

·         NRA

·         think I can still sign up for something from HD

·         and of course there is always the AAA

Anybody have any opinions?

• March 9, 2012 12:20 PM PST
    You can't always make a roadside repair either. I have FULL service AAA. Last year for AZ bike week I used it 3 times. Once for our tire blow out and 2 for friends who had issues coming home. Have had it 15 years and wouldn't leave home without it. I even carry the card when I am riding with a friend.
    • 2072 posts
    March 9, 2012 1:29 PM PST
    Check out Motorcycle Riders Foundation at http://www.mrf.org/index.php />
    On their home page click on Roadside Assistance... I have the 19.95 a year plan and have had to use them twice. Tow truck was their quick, took extra care loading my bike and didn't have to spend any additional money.

What plans are available?
    Choose from 3 packages to get the coverage you need:

Cycle Assist Motorcycle Package - $19.95 per year
    Coverage is provided for one person driving ANY motorcycle
    Tow-behind trailers when being towed by a motorcycle driven by a covered member are also covered
    Roadside Assistance benefits are available up to $200 per occurrence
    Includes: Towing, flat tire assistance, fuel and fluid delivery, lost key, on-site mechanical coverage and lodging and rental car discounts
    Cycle Assist Plus Motorcycle Package - $29.95 per year
    Coverage is provided for one person driving ANY motorcycle
    Includes everything in the $19.95 package
    Plus $500 Emergency Reimbursable Trip Interruption Coverage (Reimbursable in the event a disabling collision that's more than 100 miles from your residence, requiring an overnite stay due to the unavailability of parts)
    Premium Motorcycle and Auto Package - $46.95 per year
    Covers up to 2 motorcycles and 2 autos
    No need for AAA, we'll cover your motorcycles AND your cars.
    • 1855 posts
    March 10, 2012 1:03 AM PST
    It's on my insurance policy. I can call anyone and the problem will be covered. But damn!!!! What a veritable pain in the tail.

Peace
  • March 10, 2012 1:53 AM PST
    try the AMA
    • 6 posts
    March 10, 2012 2:07 AM PST
    AAA is a real good plan plus you get to use the other benefits. Blew out rear tire in CO on Sat of Labor Day weekend., They got a service to come out from Denver to Fairplay, hauled us in to Denver. Also have HD but think AAA is best.
    • 5420 posts
    March 10, 2012 2:21 AM PST
    I have my National HOG membership and I also have it included on my insurance policy. Can't give too much insight because I have used only the HOG service once and the customer service was good.
    • 119 posts
    March 10, 2012 2:39 AM PST
    I use my insurance, but I never leave without my 1-800 come get me card...luckily I've never had to use it.
    • 19034 posts
    March 10, 2012 2:58 AM PST
    Traveling being my lifestyle I have AAA plus RV. I have used it only twice and both times I was less than satisfied. I will watch this post for for I am looking to change services.
    First time Rex's alternator failed and the battery went flat dead. They sent out a pickup pulling a light utility trailer and no straps. I couldn't believe that. I made the driver go to the local wally world and buy a set. Then he didn't have a clue how to tie it down. I took over and made the proper connections. Adding to this his pickup was a single cab and I had a passenger (which I told the operator when I called). We had to move a bunch of crap out of the way and find the buried center seat belt.

The other time I got my RV stuck axle deep in someone's front yard. It was raining still and after twenty minutes of being on hold I was told that my plan (the most comprehensive they have) would not cover winching out since I was off road. OFF EFFIN ROAD??? I made too wide a turn and got stuck in soft dirt of someone's yard. Sorry that is our policy I was told. I called a local tow driver and he was there in 20 minutes and we were out of the mud in 5 more, and my wallet was $75 lighter. And I paid the property owner to have the ruts regraded.

In my opinion AAA does not get a AAA rating, not even an A rating. Something closser to a D.
    • 16825 posts
    March 10, 2012 4:05 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

In my opinion AAA does not get a AAA rating, not even an A rating. Something closser to a D.

AAA testified against A.B.A.T.E. of PA. while we were working to modify the helmet law,
    AARP supported the other side as well.