1994 Sturgis and back

• 1855 posts
    February 4, 2012 1:31 PM PST

Left Ohio in the rain; me and Jeffro. I was riding a 1980 FXE.  Jeffro a 76 750 Hondamatic. His left arm/hand paralyzed in a motocross accident in the 70's, the Hondamatic was a good choice.

It rained all the way.  We stopped to visit his sister in Yankton, S.D.; a very fundmentalist family.  Too religious and judgmental for my taste but they were a nice family and offered to make room for us in their small home.  I said we'd just pitch our tent outside.  Jeffro dissented but I was firm and he finally gave in.  So there we were pitching our tent in the rain and he asks, "What the hell are we doing out here?  Why not sleep inside"?  I said, "Look,  we can't smoke, drink, or cuss in your sister's house".    He suddenly  had a revelation.  "Oh, right"!!!

From Yankton to Rapid City it rained. In fact, we were heading into Rapid City and saw headlights heading back east, cominng towards us a monstor storm.  We turned around and made it to a motel just before a twister came barreling through.  Close call.   The next morning we headed out and that night we stayed at the Rapid City KOA.  Next morning it was still raining.  A friend asked, "Let's hop in my truck and head to Sturgis".  Jeffro looked at me and said, "Hell, I've come this far in the rain.  I ain't ridin' in no dang truck".  And so we rode in the rain the next few days.

When it was time to head home it was 75 degrees and sunny.  We were riding east on I-90 about 165 miles east of Sturgis when my bottom end blew; oil all over the place and I go into a slide.  I did a 360 and ended upright, sitting on my bike off the side of the road.  I had heard screeching tires behind me.  A UPS driver came running up to me and said, "Man, you should've seen that"!!!!!
    "What", I asked?
    "You should have seen the ride you just took".
    I thought to myself, "Yeah?  You should've ridden it" (dumb ass, under my breath).

Anyhow,  my bike ain't going anywhere.  So we hook my belt on Jeffro's luggage rack and the other end I got hold of on my risers.  We get off the interstate and we're coming into this gas station/carryout/motel and I see 3 Harley riders gettin' gas.  Well, they couldn't hear Jeffro's bike and they sure as hell couldn't hear mine.  Pride took over.  I let go of the belt, coasted up next to a gas pump, and put in a bucks worth of gas.    Jeffro was laughin' his tail off.  "Man", he said.  "You're somethin' else".

Called some club brothers back in Indiana and they came out to get me the next morning. I was club Pres at the time so there's no way they were not going to come.   When they got there Jeffro didn't want to trailer his bike so he rode home.  And guess what!!!  It rained all the freakin' way home.   The story doesn't end there but I'll tell more later. 

Peace

• February 4, 2012 1:38 PM PST
    I look forward to reading it, I am trying to picture that slide in my mind, wild. have a great one! "T"
    • 1 posts
    February 13, 2012 3:15 PM PST
    Hey Jimmy...keep this kinda stuff coming mate...this is the sorta stuff that will make this site boom.