Road trip in Feb???

• January 30, 2012 10:27 PM PST
     Well I am thinking with all this great weather we are having about making the ultimate mistake and pulling the covers off my Ultra and going on a road trip... I have 2 weeks vacation to burn before Feb 21st and thought about Texas about 4000 mile round trip.... comments or general 'I think you are crazy' remarks???? 
    • 19034 posts
    January 30, 2012 10:37 PM PST
    Sounds like a good idea although the weather can be unpredictable. Especially in the NC mountains. But if you head south along the coast, then west along the Gulf it should be ok.
    • 658 posts
    January 30, 2012 10:40 PM PST
    Go for it Brother! That's how all the great stories begin. Don't give your vacation back. Use it and take advantage of the warm winter we have been lucky to have. It may a long time til it happens again. You know we are going to pay dearly this summer.

Medic 

Ride Hard and have Fun!!! 
  • January 31, 2012 12:02 AM PST
    Go for it...never look back...the journey is what it's all about.
    • 1 posts
    January 31, 2012 3:29 AM PST
    If you don't you will set there saying to your self that you should have... Besides it more fun then fishing...;D
  • January 31, 2012 3:30 AM PST
    Well 10 months has seen over 14 thousand miles on the bike, so I am not prone to just sit and look at it... San Angelo is nice this time of year too...
    • 5420 posts
    January 31, 2012 9:45 AM PST
    Sound like fun, but yeah weather this time of year can sneak up on ya. But if you stay low to the Gulf Coast you can probably get there just getting a little wet and not freezing your a$$.

You might want to think about heading straight south - Key West is always a good place to turn around!!!!
    • 2 posts
    January 31, 2012 11:52 AM PST
    Advice from an old man

Get a NOAA weather radio - Costs less than $30, takes barely more space than a pack of cigarettes

AND

Just might save your butt - Check it at least 3X/day
    • 1516 posts
    January 31, 2012 1:48 PM PST
    best I can give ya is a wish I had two weeks and a road trip in my February!! Good luck, hope your weather holds and if it doesn't they do have placed to get out of it along the way.. I love a good adventure!!
  • January 31, 2012 2:58 PM PST
    Well sir have fun, plan for all types of weather give your self extra time just for those crappy days and enjoy yourself. Its your vacation spend it where ya like. have a great one! "T"
    • 19034 posts
    February 1, 2012 12:16 AM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    Advice from an old man

Get a NOAA weather radio - Costs less than $30, takes barely more space than a pack of cigarettes

AND

Just might save your butt - Check it at least 3X/day

Great advice savage, although I now mostly use my smart phone for weather I still carry the NOAA radio I bought in the nineties.

• February 1, 2012 6:58 AM PST
    Got a noaa weather radio built in the stereo on the bike !!! got caught in a tornado and found it most useful, old hand at packing for all occasions then not being surprised!!! Got a few friends along the way I might have to stop and see. And finally it has turned out to be 17 days instead of 14 so I got all the time I need

Jim
  • February 27, 2012 9:23 AM PST
    Home !!!!! yaaay 40's all the way round and rain both ways.... 2990 miles and a job.. so it will be waves from Texas pretty soon working out the last 4 days of my notice and packing for the trip!!!!
  • February 27, 2012 9:36 AM PST
    Awesome enjoy! look forward to reading or looking at your journey! have a great one "T"
  • March 1, 2012 6:38 AM PST
    It's 80F in NOLA today ~