Hey from the Southern Tier of NY

• January 26, 2012 11:45 AM PST
    Been here a short and noticed this, so,,,,,,hey ya'll
    • 1 posts
    January 26, 2012 12:04 PM PST
    Hey Edge glad to see you... I am still getting my feet wet over here...asking dumb questions... stumbling onto the answer after some one answers but hell they answer here... Never had that happen before.
    • 2 posts
    January 26, 2012 12:12 PM PST
    South Central New York myself - Elmira/Corning area to be specific,

Hope you hang around
  • January 26, 2012 12:36 PM PST
    Hi ya Bitchy, I been back and forth on a couple sites checking things out. Everything seems to meld together after a while. Thinking so far I'm liking this one, more 2% activity here.

@99Savage, In that same area myself.
  • January 26, 2012 12:52 PM PST
    wow , never considered elmira anything but north..lmao..I am in the hudson valley...the old timers seem to be a littl standoffish here...
    FrankieT
    • 567 posts
    January 26, 2012 1:05 PM PST
    Greetings from the Sunshine State and welcome to CF.
  • January 26, 2012 1:35 PM PST
    FrankiieTrees, Never could figure where they got the "Southern" part from. As for standoffish,,prob feels like an invasion force has landed on the beach!
  • January 26, 2012 1:36 PM PST
    Back at ya SolarBill.
  • January 26, 2012 2:27 PM PST
    Hello!! from Syracuse.
    • 16795 posts
    January 26, 2012 3:43 PM PST
    FrankiieTrees wrote...
    wow , never considered elmira anything but north..lmao..I am in the hudson valley...the old timers seem to be a littl standoffish here...
    FrankieT

I think we have been pretty socialble trying to keep up with all the new members we have recieved as of late.

Hello from the extreme northwestern corner of Pennsylvania.
  • January 26, 2012 4:24 PM PST
    Hello from south Mississippi via Kandahar, Afghanistan!
  • January 26, 2012 6:30 PM PST
    Hey Edge! I called Jamestown home till I developed an allergy to snow. Down here in GA we get plenty of winter riding days mixed in with the winter misery.
    • 19004 posts
    January 26, 2012 9:53 PM PST
    Welcome from the 'at large' member to the best damn biker site on this here web thing.

Jeeze savage, I thought you were over in SW NY. Elmira, I have ridden there many times, usually heading up from the Troy-Mansfield, PA area. Beautiful country up there.
  • January 26, 2012 10:05 PM PST
    Out in the sticks of NY here. Lost in the hills lol
    Just above Sayre PA. East of Elmira, West of Binghamton, South of Ithaca & Syracuse.
    • 1 posts
    January 26, 2012 11:30 PM PST
    Hell I thought a lot of the peoples have been great here...Not just the dislocated 2% but the all ready members... Maybe they just like my name??? You know it does make me sound all warm and fussy,lol.
    • 1855 posts
    January 27, 2012 12:23 AM PST
    Welcome from w central Ohio.......a N.Y. transplant here.

Peace
  • January 27, 2012 7:48 AM PST
    @snoviper, thanks. @RevBigJohn,,,Thanks, I have not experienced the standoffish first hand,,,,,I don't post a lot.

@MSGBIGG69, Thank you for the welcome. THANK YOU FOR BEING IN AFGHANISTAN! You more than deserve your up coming R&R!
  • January 27, 2012 7:57 AM PST
    @Movintons,,,,I see you all have had some crap down there too you guys don't use salt though. I am starting to get the same allergy. Actually so far winter has been mild. I rode once this January but the salt just got bad. I put it away for now.

Hello Rex.

Sin you ain't lost I knows where you are, just gotta cut through the valleys and over the hills!

Bitchy the been pretty good to me too,,,,,,,LOL at the dislocated 2% You is good people so it ain't just the name.
  • January 27, 2012 7:58 AM PST
    Thanks Jimmiyacorn!
    • 2 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:00 AM PST
    FrankiieTrees wrote...
    FrankieT

The Geography of New York State:

The NY/PA border runs straight East/West along the 42nd parallel from just east of Erie to the Delaware River.  The border areas of NY & PA are referred to as “The Twin Tier Area”. This border area in NY, Jamestown, Elmira, Binghamton, is referred to as “The Southern Tier” and of course this places the “Southern Tier” of NY  NORTH of the “Northern Tier of PA.

Route 14 about bisects this straight East/West border hence I live in South Central New York State.

The really southern area of NY, below the Tappan Zee Bridge, is referred to as “Downstate”.

Everybody “Downstate” refers to everyplace north of the Tappan Zee Bridge” as “Upstate”. People in the “Southern Tier” think “Upstate” begins at the Barge Canal but people north of Canal, Rochester, Syracuse & Utica think “Upstate” is the Watertown area, north of Tug Hill.

All clear now?

p.s.: Only really old people will appreciate this. There used to be a really popular, wonderfully drafted comic strip,” Lil Abner” , where Al Capp brilliantly picked apart the pretensions of the elites & the self limitations of the poor. People usually thought it was supposed to be Appalachia  but Al Capp was actually thinking of Upstate NY

• 63 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:17 AM PST
    Hey, and welcome from Upstate NY,,, East Syracuse myself
  • January 27, 2012 1:50 PM PST
    99 Thanks for the clarification!
  • January 27, 2012 3:43 PM PST
    All clear here . So hello from downstate long island. Originaly from Brooklyn. Fagetaboudit
    • 16795 posts
    January 27, 2012 5:38 PM PST
    99Savage wrote...

The NY/PA border runs straight East/West along the 42nd parallel from just east of Erie to the Delaware River.

We in Erie County PA. enjoy being above the 42nd parallel.
  • January 27, 2012 8:43 PM PST
    Howdy from NC's Outer Banks!