Day trip where would you go?

• January 13, 2012 1:34 AM PST
    I'm planning a short day trip or even extending it into two days next Friday Jan 20th. I'm either going to go to Wickenburg, AZ (love the whole area) and depending on weather do some 89A riding, or go to Yuma, AZ and do some first time exploring around there. Whats your opinion? If your in the area feel free to invite yourself!

Dave
    • 16828 posts
    January 13, 2012 4:25 AM PST
    There is this cool little place in Ohio along Lake Erie called Geneva on the Lake.
    It's like a constant party from Memorial Day thru Labor Day.
    At night bikes line the street, hot rods, custom vehicles, and bikes cruise back and forth on the main drag.
    The bars have live music nightly.
    Basically this place is an amusement park without the rides. http://visitgenevaonthelake.com/
  • January 13, 2012 4:58 AM PST
    Hey there! Am in northern AZ but I would like to ride down 89A to Sedona, continue towards Jerome, ride them switchbacks on Mingus Mts, lunch in Prescott, return trip through Camp Verde, highway 260 to highway 87, and Lake Mary Road ~ pretty chilly by 5 pm here but the scenic views from the elevation and the 'stillness' all along the ride are incredibly invigorating!! Bummer, am out of town on business that weekend!! lol ~ safe riding!
  • January 13, 2012 6:00 AM PST
    bikeNrun14- That brought back amazing memories. I have ridden many of those roads, I love 89A and hit lake Mary Road many times during the years for Too Broke for Sturgis. Yes I was there this year for the murders. My tent was about 100 to 150 feet away, talk about crazy.
    • 5420 posts
    January 13, 2012 7:04 AM PST
    I love that area out by Sedona. We rode that area for the first time last year - since we had to leave Too Broke early - and loved it. We also found some nice riding somewhere near Williams, but for the life of me I can't remember the exact roads. Might be a little cold in northern AZ, so I would stick to the south route of Wickenburg or Yuma. Daytime weather should be about the same in either area, buyt if your out after the sun goes down could drop down to the low 40s in Wickenburg. Yuma should be beautiful right about now with mid 70s during the day and not much lower than 65 at night!

Have a great trip. Can't join you on this one, but maybe next time!
  • January 13, 2012 4:50 PM PST
    bikertripenvy wrote...
    bikeNrun14- That brought back amazing memories. I have ridden many of those roads, I love 89A and hit lake Mary Road many times during the years for Too Broke for Sturgis. Yes I was there this year for the murders. My tent was about 100 to 150 feet away, talk about crazy.

Attended Too Broke for Sturgis since it started but not last year ............. but the terrible incident made the news everywhere!   That's a shame but something was gonna happen sooner or later from what many past attendees seemed to have concluded; had family and friends asking if I was okay, very relieved I was not there. 
    Anyway, I tend to ride towards Sedona most of the winter months and then it's towards Payson/Show Low areas and/or the Grand Canyon during the summer months.  Just wonderful scenic byways either route!  Need to take another bike trip to Tucson area, been awhile and/or missed the planned bike rides due to business travels, oh well ........... You take care and enjoy!!

• January 18, 2012 12:58 PM PST
    It probably doesn,t sound too adventurous to some, but my first ride will be around the local lake with a lot of curves and lovly scenery. The weather here in Missouri has been awesome for this time of year.
    • 3006 posts
    January 18, 2012 2:27 PM PST
    Usually take my scoot down backroads to the coast, Hwy 1 head south to Pescadero Beach & points south down to BigSur,or head north up to San Rafael/Stinson beach & points north of Tomales bay both are.around 150-180 miles round-trip depending on which route I take.
  • January 18, 2012 7:15 PM PST
    Well , well, well it is aweful rude of you guy's to talk about riding while some of us here in southwest Michigan are under plenty of snow with 5" of lake effect in the forecast for today. But one of my first rides of the spring will be to the west coast...the west coast of Mi. that is, you have to ride along Lake Michigan if you have never done it.
  • January 23, 2012 7:08 PM PST
    MGOBLUE- Forgive us west coasters. I'm originally from Ohio and feel your pain.
  • January 23, 2012 7:10 PM PST
    Guys- I chose Wickenburg and the 89A. What a great weekend, I'm trying to post a video I made on here if it doe not work please go to www.bikertripenvy.com just to check it out. I posted it on 1/23/12 under Wickenburg,AZ what an adventure. I'll keep trying to post it here as well!!