Tire Wear Excessive

• 34 posts
    December 23, 2011 12:38 PM PST
     i have a Harley Heritage Softail '07 and it eats up tires terrible. i only get 5-6k miles the rear tire.  been using the Dunlop MT90 OEM..Anyone got a better tire???
    • 5420 posts
    December 23, 2011 12:47 PM PST
    That sounds low, but not completely out of the question depending on your riding style.  You got a lot of low end torque so if you quick start I could see that type of wear.  I have tried ever tire out there and found the stock Dunlops to give the longest life.

This has also been discussed in ohter forums and you may want to read through some of those...

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/How-many-miles-on-a-set-factory-Harley-tires-46322-1.html />
    http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/Best-Tires-for-General-Riding-916-1.html />

• 19034 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:53 PM PST
    At what tread depth do you replace the tire? If 3/32nd then that does sound low but if you jack rabbit start and brake hard with the rear then entirely possible. I am a fairly tame rider and get 12-14K out of my Dunlop stock rear tire.
    • 1855 posts
    December 24, 2011 12:11 AM PST
    I've seen this post somewhere before. I get 15K on my Roadking. But, I have to replace both tires at the same time. In the past, with my '98 WideGlide I got 10k on the back and 20K on the front. Having to replace both tires at the same time is pretty expensive. As for your 7,500 mile dilemma, there are any number of reasons but I figure it's probably the way you ride and the tire pressure. People talk about checking oil everyday before they ride. I don't believe that's as necessary as checking tire pressure regularly. It doesn't take much deviation from recommended tire pressure to create issues. Cupped tires is one of the most common problems associated with tire pressure.
    But hell man, back in the day we didn't change tires until the chord showed. Then again, we were young and stupid, not to mention reckless. More of us are concerned with safety these days (a good thing) and I believe doing preventive maintenance, scheduled maintenance, and frequent overall inspection procedures is the best we can do to stay safe and extend the life of our motorcycle parts.

Peace
  • December 25, 2011 2:39 PM PST
    I'm lucky to get 8,000 miles but I am in no way a tame rider... I tend to be somewhat aggressive, mostly due to the lack of foresight from the idiot cagers! Plus pumping up your motor tends to kill two vital components, tires and fuel mileage, but thankfully I can always afford a few tanks of gas vs. filling up my big ass Suburban (which needs about $1100.00 worth of tires next month)
  • December 25, 2011 10:32 PM PST
    fishtime, what is your style and air pressure? As mentioned above tire pressure is neglected alot by some riders and that will make a huge difference in your wear. Normally get around 12-16K on my bike, but I met a gentleman that would be lucky to get 5K.

Cheers
    Ron
  • December 27, 2011 6:36 PM PST
    I have tubeless mags that require 35 PSI front and back and I'm a stickler for air pressure... still the torque just eats tires:-)
  • May 31, 2012 6:35 AM PDT
    my fatboy got 2500 miles to a set of tires its a 07. look at the frt wheel is it centered in the shocks.if not the way I fixed mine 08 frt lower shocks with 08 wheel caliper,bushings.then for the rear 08 wheel ,caliper,caliper bracket,bushings,and swing arm.then u have to have left rear swing arm bracket its welded to tubes on frame it moves the wheel to the left app 1inch. you also have to have 08 frt wheel getting good milage now also run perrilla night dragon tires
    • 5420 posts
    May 31, 2012 7:52 AM PDT
    Wow, 2500 miles on a set of tires... I would be replacing tires ever 6 to 8 weeks!!!!

MY last set of Dunlops on my '07 Road King were at 8,600 on the rear and 13,200 on the front when replaced!!!