Harley Security System

• April 13, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
    I have a 2008 Harley Fat Bob, I bought it off a dealership in North Carolina.  My problem is I lost both key fobs to this bike and don't know the 5 digit pin code to the bike.  I know the factory code is 12345 and have tried this pin code multiple times without success.  I contacted the dealership that I bought the bike from and they do not have the code and did not reset the code when they purchased the bike.  The bike only had 487 miles on it when I bought it last February, so it wasn't even used for a season.  Is there anything I can do to shut the security system off or reset it without the code or the fobs?  PLEASE HELP!!!
    • 19043 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
    Wish I could help...Serious trouble you have but I know the alarm can be defeated. A bit annoying the dealer can't (or won't) help.
  • April 13, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
    take it to a shop that installs stereos and alarm systems and they can do it for you . my bud does this for a living and he does this often .
  • April 13, 2013 10:46 AM PDT
    The problem is I'll have to have it towed. I bought the bike in NC and I live in Chicago, dealership won't help.
    • 314 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:25 AM PDT
    You need fob with you to be able to do anything. Seems like you should deal with Harley and not the dealer to get a fob
  • April 13, 2013 5:13 PM PDT
    Already bought 2 new fobs and 2 new keys, can't program them without the code. I'm asking if there is another way of bypassing security?
    • 314 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:04 PM PDT
    This is from this site, Hope it helps.
    >
    > Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN
    >
    > Button less fobs (Smart FOB)
    >
    > 1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.
    >
    > 2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON
    >
    > 3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.
    >
    > 4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
    > *Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.
    >
    > 5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.
    >
    > 6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
    > *The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.
    >
    > 7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.
    >
    > 8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
    > *The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.
    >
    > 9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.
    >
    > 10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
    > *The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.
    >
    > 11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.
    >
    > 12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
    >
    > 13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
    > *The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.
    >
    > 14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
    >
    > 15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
    > * The odometer will return to mileage display.
    > **Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.
    >
    >
    > Push Button fobs
    >
    > 1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.
    >
    > 2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON
    >
    > 3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.
    >
    > 4. Press button on fob twice
    > Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.
    >
    > 5. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
    > Press button on fob twice to enter number.
    >
    > 6. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
    >
    > 7. Enter third digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
    >
    > 8. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
    >
    > 9. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
    >
    > Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new security PIN.
    >
    >
    >
    > Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson
    >
    > 1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.
    >
    > 2. Enter the first digit of your PIN (a) by pressing the left turn signal switch (a) times.
    >
    > 3. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.
    >
    > 4. Enter the second digit of your PIN (b) by pressing the left turn signal switch (b) times.
    >
    > 5. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.
    >
    > 6. Enter the third digit of your PIN (c) by pressing the left turn signal switch (c) times.
    >
    > 7. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.
    >
    > 8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN (d) by pressing the left turn signal switch (d) times.
    >
    > 9. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.
    >
    > 10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN (e) by pressing the left turn signal switch (e) times.
    >
    > 11. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.
    >
    > 12. Press the right turn signal switch one time and the security system alarm is turned off.
  • April 14, 2013 1:22 AM PDT
    And that there is why I just buy a new bike without security system. Tear it out. If they steal your bike they will just pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck. This is how it's done. They don't start them and ride away. And about that locator stuff, if they do get your bike, do you really want what's left of it back? They work very fast them thieves. Take the insurance check and find another one.
    • 1855 posts
    April 14, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
    WOW!!!! The main reason I don't have that security feature. If you can Just get rid of the darn thing. Security crap won't keep a person from stealing your motorcycle. It won't!!

Also, having bought the bike in N.C. Doesn't mean you have to go there to get your bike worked on!!!!
  • April 14, 2013 1:27 AM PDT
    Great minds think alike Hey jimmy????
    • 1855 posts
    April 14, 2013 1:35 AM PDT
    alsflhr wrote...
    Great minds think alike Hey jimmy????

LOL! Yeah, I've convinced myself I'm the smartest person I know.  You too? Haha!!!

• April 14, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
    My friend had his battery go dead in the fob on top of the Blue Ridge and I had to go about 25 miles to find him one so his bike would start. Lesson here is always carry a spare battery they are small.

Anyways let's hope Paula solved his problem.
  • April 14, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

Did it take a lot to convince??

• 314 posts
    April 14, 2013 4:11 AM PDT
    I have the security system and i have only had to change my battery once and it was last yr and i was home all ready to leave for a couple days. I knew i had a battery in house because i seen it 2 days before. Then i couldn't find it, my husband did something with it so had to go buy one. Never thought about ripping it out. I would hate for that to happen to me if i was far from a store. I will now buy one and keep it in my saddle bag. I am going to NC this summer so i will be prepared.
    Thanks alsflhr
  • April 14, 2013 5:09 AM PDT
    All it takes is one experience to learn Paula. That's what happened with us. Also what helped make my decision to not get security on new bike. Got theft insurance instead!!.
    Besides I love goin bike shoppin!!!!

Will be down there a couple of times myself this summer, as usual. Where ya goin?
    We'll be on the coast near Beaufort, and Wrightsville beach and then over to the Smokies.
    • 314 posts
    April 14, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
    I wont be down till Aug, I will be on Carolina beach so not too far from you. I will be coming from TN, not sure what else yet before ending there.
  • April 14, 2013 7:58 PM PDT
    Someone from above telling you not to ride that day?
    • 19043 posts
    April 15, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
    Arguing for keeping the alarm system I would not get rid of it. It is very good in alerting me (within earshot) of someone messing with it. That way my friends (Mr Ruger or Mr Baretta or Mr Smith and Mr Wesson) can go see what's up.
    • 5420 posts
    April 15, 2013 12:05 PM PDT
    Only an authorized dealer can set a code or marry a new fob to the bike.  There is NO such thing as a pre-set factory code... otherwise everyone would have the code to lots of bikes who's owners didn't change them.

Sorry to say without a fob married to that bike you are not going to start it unless you already programmed the code.

So a reminder to everyone... program your code.  You never know when your fob battery will diew or you just plain loose the thing.

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/Harley-Davidson/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson-Security-Alarm---Setting-PIN-Override-2762-1.html />
    • 314 posts
    April 15, 2013 2:04 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

So a reminder to everyone... program your code.  You never know when your fob battery will diew or you just plain loose the thing.

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/Harley-Davidson/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson-Security-Alarm---Setting-PIN-Override-2762-1.html

thought i got that here

• 719 posts
    April 25, 2013 3:25 PM PDT
    thats y they tell u to replace ur fob batteries every year just like u do on ur smoke detectors,,,,,,,,,,,,i love my alarm if some1 sets on it it goes off and i have the same freinds as rex does plus 3 rots lol
    • 2 posts
    August 28, 2013 9:13 AM PDT
    HD FOB codes are not set at the factory. They are set at the dealer during PDI. If you bought the bike new from the dealer they should be able to tell you the code. Dealers generally use very simple codes because when you buy a new bike they will normally set it for you to a # you supply. Common examples of codes the dealer may use are: "00000" "12345"' "54321".

If the bike was bought used the code is often never changed from the previous owner as the dealer can either use the FOB or bypass the security system with the "Digital Tech"

Any dealer can reassign a new FOB. You do not have to take it to the original dealer.
    • 5420 posts
    August 28, 2013 11:34 AM PDT
    I believe there is NO code set on a brand new bike when you pick it up from the dealer unless you request it. Otherwise it would be real easy to steal a bunch of new bikes trying these simple codes since the majority of people do not set their own code.
    • 284 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:49 PM PST
    I wanna know how you lose both fobs? Mine are on my key ring with house and garage keys.
  • December 19, 2013 8:57 AM PST
    PVHD "Plugged IN" and disabled the HD security system on my gf's Tri-Glide ( we put on a Scoripio unit) - the bike has to be at the dealers but does not need the fob.