Riding all year!

• November 2, 2011 5:37 AM PDT
    I'm just curious.  I ride my bike all 12 months of the year, as long as no ice or snow is present, so the change here in the Ohio Valley means nothing to me really.  I know alot of the folks here in the area put them away, winterize them and put them on battery chargers for the winter.  So, I'm just curious.  How many ride year round and do you put limitations to your riding in the winter time? 
    • 9 posts
    November 2, 2011 5:46 AM PDT
    Wow, Troll. I went to high school and lived in the Ohio Valley for a good part of my twenty's. Then moved back up to Toledo. I give you an abundance of credit for riding in what I know to be "extremely foul weather". Especially at this time of year. One heck of a lot of rain, and cold. You must have some really awesome riding gear, to tolerate the wind chill that I know you're experiencing. That's one of the reasons I moved permanently down here to the "sunshine" state. Just couldn't deal with the weather, and looking at my bike under a snowdrift, for better than three months at a time. Screw that. But hey, if you can deal, AND keep ridin'? Go for it man. Just be careful, eh?
    Ride Free
    Tweek
  • November 2, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
    I ride year round. Until late last year, my bikes have been my only transportation for almost 14 years. I can't see ever winterizing my bikes. I have no clue what one should even do for that situation. The only days I won't ride are those few rare ice days here. Snow doesn't mean shit, but ice is another story.

• 1780 posts
    November 2, 2011 6:01 AM PDT
    The cold doesn't bother me....That's what Leather is for......now snow and ice.....Not taken the Dragon out in that. Down here in Texas there are a lot of Pick Up Trucks on the road, and they just don't do well on snow or ice. Why would I want to ride side by side with a pick-up truck.........
    • 846 posts
    November 2, 2011 7:13 AM PDT
    When the temp is in the 30's even with chaps my knee freezes any lower temp and I need help getting off the bike as it locks up. But its usally the temp and snow. As we just had a freak Oct snow strom they us a ton of salt on the roads and that plays havoc on the finish of the bike. So soon it time for her winter nap.
    • 1516 posts
    November 2, 2011 7:42 AM PDT
    There are some years we ride as much in the winter as the summer. But I live in the Central Valley of CA, so there are not a whole lot of really cold periods in the winter ... well usually anyways
  • November 2, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
    Every year we try to go on a New Years Day run. For those familiar with this area, some years it has been in the 50-60's and some years it has been 7 degrees. Make no bones about it, when it is seven degrees, I may get it out, but it is for a short distance. Went a couple of years ago and rode all day in 29 degree weather. People looking at us like we were NUTS. But! They also had that look in their eye like, Damn, that's cool!
    • 2 posts
    November 2, 2011 1:04 PM PDT
    I've always been a year round rider. I'd ride through the worst of winter with a good pair of insulated overalls, lots of layers, leather jacket, full face helmet, balaclava and a good pair of gloves w/ liners. I avoid snow and ice as well as, just after storms (too much salt) but, otherwise I didn't let the cold keep me away. I recently relocated from NJ to AZ so, this winter it's going to be a piece of cake.
    • 46 posts
    November 2, 2011 1:07 PM PDT
    I'm ok with the cold, but will not even think about riding if there is ice! I stop using the bike for work in the winter because I have gotten stuck a few times where I went to work on a mild day and when it was time to go home there was a blizzard outside. I'll go out on the weekends though.
    • 7 posts
    November 2, 2011 2:25 PM PDT
    I was going to chime in but here in CA doesn't really count.

A VERY cold day here in the Sacramento Valley might... I say might... drop to freezing... 32 F, That just doesn't really count now does it :-))
    • 638 posts
    November 2, 2011 2:34 PM PDT
    I live in south Louisiana. The only time my bike stays parked is during a hurricane
    • 844 posts
    November 2, 2011 2:40 PM PDT
    Same here. Hopefully were done with Gulf Coast Hurricanes for a while!!!!

• 638 posts
    November 2, 2011 3:05 PM PDT
    amen
  • November 2, 2011 4:00 PM PDT
    I ride whenever I can. It is only during the icy days that I do not ride. I have a really warm waterproof Jacket that helps.
    it has been raining like hell here in Oregon these past few days. I still got out for a few short rides. Can't help it. I love to ride.
  • November 2, 2011 11:48 PM PDT
     . ....when I lived back in jersey me and my riding buddy johnny would ride all year round as long as the roads were clear....I remember once it was around 14 degrees out when we headed out across the bridge in to Pennsylvania...stopping at red lights we,d see folks in cars pointing as us and shaking their heads....we,d head up 32 to the New Hope area and stop at this tiny French bakery for nice HOT cup of coffee and a pastry....stay long enough for the feeling to come back in our hands...then head up 32 along the river....johnny was leading one time and he was moving down this winding road....there was ice and snow and either side of us but the road was clear except for the occasional "black ice" in the shadows of trees and rocks...he went around this one bend and I saw his rear tire break loose and lose traction for a split second, then catch.....the rear of his bike slid side ways about 6 inches....he slowed right up after that....lol

.....up here in the Hinterland it snows more then Ive ever experienced before...the roads are permantently iced over for at least 4 months...but thats not the worst part.....they put an insane amount of salt down around here....in the spring after the snow finally clears around mid April....you,ll be driving down the Interstate behind a semi and there will be a huge white cloud swirling around behind it......giant clouds of salt.....if you ride up here, you wait until we get at least two good down pours to wash all that stuff away. ....

....two years ago we had an extremley mild winter...I rode out for coffee on Christmas Eve....and that spring we took off for Texas to a friends BBQ the first week of April...which is unheard of around here....so far its been really mild up here, and Im keeping my fingers crossed that ...maybe....

...before I moved here I had never heard of...winterizing your bike....Seafoam...Stabil......and I long for the day I can forget about it... 

.......this is a lake...frozen over ...about 4 miles down the road from our house.....shot was taken about 4 years ago in late April....

• 567 posts
    November 3, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
    Here in Florida, I look forward to the winter days when its finally cool enough to ride comfortably. July, August & September are the "brutal" months here. You can actually face heat stroke if you don't take measures to protect yourself.
    Usually, November is when I can finally dig out the leathers and start wearing them with some regularity. What we DO have is what I call The Five Cold Days of Winter. There are usually approximately five different days where the temps will drop below 32 degrees .. and that's about it. Really good riding days during the winter.
  • November 3, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
    Year round, as long as there is no ice. Happiest over 45 degrees - my fingers slow down a bit when it is colder than that. No winterizing here....
  • November 3, 2011 4:24 AM PDT
    Hats off to those of you that ride year round in the colder parts of the USA. We ride year round here but then again we live in So California and a cold day at my house is 60 degrees.
    • 2 posts
    November 3, 2011 11:21 AM PDT
    South Central New York State - a.k.a. "Finger Lakes Area"

Have enough snow & ice to be down December, January & most of February - Can dress for the cold but ice is an abbreviation for suicide & the slush created on salted roads plays havoc w/ machinery
    • 1855 posts
    November 6, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
    I use to ride all year back in the day when I was younger.   Open heart surgery has put an end to riding under certain temps.  Ya know, it ain't the snow shovel that brings ya to your knees, it's breathing the cold air under just about any conditions.   But that's the only restriction as a result of open heart (back in 05).  I still get around as if I never had a heart problem.  But, if I can get out of my driveway on New Year's Day I will make that first of the year ride; even if it's only 1/4 mile up the road.
  • November 6, 2011 1:19 AM PST
    54 and still ride year 'round in Missouri as long as it's above 20 degrees and no ice and snow on the roads, but every once-in-awhile I have an old 250 Honda and have to get out and play in the snow
    • 1855 posts
    November 6, 2011 1:32 AM PST
    Man, I have some damn fond memories of riding to work on an old sporty with 3" of snow on the road and still coming down. I was stronger, I was agile, I was a bit reckless, and I fancied myself a legend with my co-workers who just couldn't believe I'd show up for work thru a blindinng snow storm. Of course the "legend" thing is probably just in my own mind. I doubt that they tell stories about me today. Well, not THAT story anyway.
  • November 6, 2011 11:17 AM PST
    I ride year round, always have always will...only things changed is I don't ride in the rain lessn I get caught out in it...
    • 58 posts
    November 6, 2011 11:42 AM PST
    I ride year round or at least as much as can qhen I'm home for my 2 weekends a month. My winterizing consists of a fresh oil filter in Nov and keep the tank full and cover on. The wife runs her up for me (min 20 - 30 minutes) on the weekends I'm not home if the temps have been below freezing.